Whose Your Teacher?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whose Your Teacher?

Talking Whose Your Teacher?

Full story: http://www.gsusignal.com/vnews/displ.../41eb365ea341b
    A study out of something called the National Collaborative Diversity in the Teaching Force says students perform better when they are taught by teachers of the same race, according to an article in the Georgia State University student newspaper.

The study found that students of color often perform better academically, socially and personally when taught by professors of their same ethnic background.

The conclusion is prompting calls for racism on campus. Student Gabrielle Moss told one interviewer that she supports the premise.

"When a student has a professor of the same race, they have someone they can relate to. When I have a black professor I see someone who looks just like me," said Moss, who is African-American. "I also feel that you don't have any discrimination racially and that makes the class environment a lot better."
    Well now, I guess what all this means, is that only white people can teach ethnic diversity classes then eh?
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

lol

The amount of editing put into the original post, to make sure no comment offended people, would have been huge.

Im not racist, but i do agree with that comment. Its human nature ?
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

"In my opinion, when the race of an instructor is perceived as the primary factor hindering the learning process, then it is either a matter of teaching competency, cultural insensitivity or possibly racism."
    Uhm, it couldn't have anything to do with the student? Let's see, I am a student and I don't like my class, ok, I will blame the teacher because s/he is imcompetent, or a racist. Got to love what this country has become.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uhm, it couldn't have anything to do with the student? Let's see, I am a student and I don't like my class, ok, I will blame the teacher because s/he is imcompetent, or a racist.
    Uh. It happens. And it's happened to me. I have been accused or told the following:

- You failed me because you're a woman and don't know what you're doing
    - You failed me because I'm <insert race here> (note: this doesn't fly over well when I introduce them to my Cantonese SO)
    - You must pass me because I paid $$$ to do this course.

All of these get replies of the one of the following:

- No, you failed because you don't know the material
    - No, you will fail because you didn't study. Education is 100% effort: 50% of that is brought to the table by me, 50% by you as a student
    - No, you failed because you suck! (scarcastic comment)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Regal Making Handler
    This sounds like some of the insurance claimes<jokes> I have read.

I was scraping my near side when the accedent occured.
    I drove into a driveway, that i thought was mine and hit a tree that i didn't have.
    The woman i ran over admitted it was her fault, as she had been run over before.

None of us like to fIskUp. The thing is........................Most of us can exept when we do.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

- You must pass me because I paid $$$ to do this course.
    Yeap. Most of the my students use to use that argument.

my reply uses to be "You are right. You have paid $$$ to LEARN something on this course. And you WONT leave without had learned">
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Maybe they should all go to Benedict College.
    Benedict College, Columbia, South Carolina enforces an academic policy that defies belief. Say I'm a freshman taking your class in biology. I learn little from your lectures, assigned readings and homework. I do attend class every day; take notes and manage to average 40 percent on the graded work for the semester. What grade might you give me? I'm betting that all but the academic elite would say, "Sorry, Williams, but no cigar," and I'd earn an F for the course. But, if you're a professor at Benedict College, you'd be fired.

That's exactly what happened to Professors Milwood Motley, Chairman of Benedict's Biological and Physical Sciences Department and Larry Williams of the same department, both of whom refused to go along with the college's Success Equals Effort (SEE) policy. SEE is a policy where 60 percent of a freshman's grade is based on effort and the rest on academic performance. In their sophomore year, the formula drops to 50-50 and isn't used at all for junior and senior years. In defense of his policy, Benedict's president, Dr. David H. Swinton said that the students "have to get an A in effort to guarantee that if they fail the subject matter, they can get the minimum passing grade. I don't think that's a bad thing."
    http://www.gmu.edu/departments/econo...believeit.html

Today there are a few predominantly black public schools with fine achievement records, such as New York's Frederick Douglass Academy and private schools such as Marva Collins Preparatory School in Cincinnati, Marcus Garvey School in Los Angeles, and Ivy Leaf School in Philadelphia. If you simply walked around a failing school and then walked around one of these achieving schools, what would be some of the most notable characteristics? First, you wouldn't see students entering through metal detectors. You wouldn't see loitering in the hallways. You wouldn't hear foul language being spoken among the students and to the teachers and staff.

Upon further investigation, you'd learn that parents are supportive of the teachers and involved in their children's schooling - making sure they do homework, get to school on time and behave once there. The teachers are competent and demanding. None of these ingredients are budget-busters, but if they're not present, no matter how high the budget education won't occur.

The cruelest hoax of it all is the fraud perpetrated on black students and their parents. This was forcefully brought home to me over the holidays in a conversation with an in-law who boasted about how his son, a senior, was on his school's honor roll at one of Philadelphia's inner city high schools. While it was not thrilling, honesty compelled me to inform him that the average black high school graduate has an academic achievement level on par with that of an average white seventh-grader. His son's A's and B's would probably translate into C's, D's and F's at most other high schools.
    http://www.gmu.edu/departments/econo...education.html

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/econo...prognosis.html

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/econo.../articles.html

Tomorrow I shall enroll for a teaching course.......................nightime.............I have done it before, but I need some teaching quals. so here goes.

I never had any race problems.................the guys and gals just wanted to get their professional qualifications.

I feel sorry for those who have to teach compulsory or university................my lot came from work........the attitude is very different..............I actually had gatecrashers

Like more people in the class than had paid for the course

Wow more signs that poorly framed research is bunk...this has to be the second most inane study I have ever seen (the first claimed that the less comfortable the chair you sat in the more convincing the speaker is). Now this may have a ancilary point when you are dealing with language bariers (try sitting in an advanced data structures class whit a student who's main language is hindi and dosn't speak much english argues with a professor whos main language is chinese and dosn't speak much english). But that has nothing to do with race and every thing to do with the ability to comunicate.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

the first claimed that the less comfortable the chair you sat in the more convincing the speaker is
    Almost true, but it should say the more convincing the speaker THINKS he is....................just because you can't fall asleep

I fully agree with the communication thing though, it is much more difficult for a student to have to learn in a language that is not their main one. I have not seen figures on it, but I would expect them to do better in maths, physics and chemistry, as those subjects have a much more universal language of their own.

I also think that it is a good idea if students' work is marked independently rather than by the people who are responsible for teaching them. That makes "relating to" much less important. Then the quality of the teacher and the quality of the student become far more important than their race.

I think that you also have to take into account the home environment and peer pressure, certainly until you get to university level.