Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nmap

Nmap

Hi i was just about to use nmap to scan my network to test it it i cant get it to work which sucks but besides that dose any one know of a reason that it would not work i have the latest vershion of it 3.75 i am running winXp sp2 i know their was an sp2 problem that didnt let namp run but didnt that get taken care of so dose any one know why it might not be working i redownloaded it but still no luck.

what version of winpcap do you have. ive never tried to run it on xp so i dont know if it has been fixed.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

do you have the latest version of winpcap installed?

http://winpcap.polito.it/

If so, try uninstalling it, rebooting, reinstalling it and rebooting again.

I've had little problems with winpcap like that before on a work machine...

The latest version of nmap for win32 works fine for me with the latest version of winpcap on xp sp2.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i dont think i have the latest vershion of winpcap but i will download the latest and check thanks for the info.

ok now it is working but here is the message i get when it runs

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\tools\nmap-3.75-win32\nmap-3.75>nmap -sV someipaddress

Starting nmap 3.75 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2005-01-20 08:44 Eastern
    Standard Time
    Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -P0

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 4.735 seconds

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\tools\nmap-3.75-win32\nmap-3.75>
    ok Now i know that the machine is up an running but the weird thing now is that when i run a diffrent scanner it workis fine. Now if i use the -P0 it goes to the starting nmap 3.75 line then just stops nothing else after that.

Wasn't there a work around version of NMAP to resolve this ?
    It seems to me that others were having the same problem and insecure came out with a version that worked around sp2 trying to block nmap.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

yea but i thaught all vershions from 3.0 and up work around sp2.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm... latest version is 3.77 so you might want to get the newer version.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dead Man Walking
    Originally posted here by Riot
    ok now it is working but here is the message i get when it runs

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\tools\nmap-3.75-win32\nmap-3.75>nmap -sV someipaddress

Starting nmap 3.75 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2005-01-20 08:44 Eastern
    Standard Time
    Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -P0

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 4.735 seconds

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\tools\nmap-3.75-win32\nmap-3.75>
    ok Now i know that the machine is up an running but the weird thing now is that when i run a diffrent scanner it workis fine. Now if i use the -P0 it goes to the starting nmap 3.75 line then just stops nothing else after that.

That messagemost likely means that your firewall is working . It takes freaking foreven on my box to do a -P0 scan but it will eventualy finish. patience young jedi

o ok thanks i guess i will just let it run and see what happens. glade my firewall is working thow.