View Poll Results: your opinion about a PDA as webserver?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Using a PDA as webserver sounds like a cool idea.

2 50.00%
  • A PDA webserver would just be a useless waste of fine hardware.

1 25.00%
  • I don't know. It could be a great idea, but it won't be very useful.

1 25.00%

Thread: Legal Discussions

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Legal Discussions

I had a thought.

Maybe the site would benefit from the addition of a "Legal Discussions" Forum.

I think sometimes Cosmos is too broad a forum for legal issues/questions, and other times the various security-specific forums are not broad enough.

Granted, there would have to be a Disclaimer, probably a sticky reminding everyone that the forum is just there for informational purposes, and you should talk to a lawyer for legal advice, especially concerning the differences between countries and even states (Thanks, Neg )

Anywho, just wondering your thoughts...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Legal discussions of what? Divorce? accidents? pit-bull attacks?

If it's security related, can we not use Misc Security? (the reason I ask is how much legal discussions do we get into at present and thus, does it necessarily warrant it?)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Granted that we are still attempting to adhere to the whole "we are an information security site" thing but I would appreciate a forum for legal discussion. Law is one of my greatest interests. From getting out of speeding tickets due to a technicality...to supreme court issues. I *think* that the question isn't going to be whether or not people could benefit from it, but whether or not is has a place on this site. I personally would be more involved with the site just to check out any current legal discussions, especially since I plan on going to law school (eventually) after I get my CIS degree. (For those of you that are like 'you can't do that', pre-law isn't a requirement for acceptance into law school).

On a side note, I also had trouble finding an online legal discussions forum. Except for a German one....

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Legal discussions of what?
    Sorry I wasn't clear; It would be relevant to computer and technology-related laws.

For instance, folks always askquestion like, "What are the legal ramifications of hacking a .gov?" or "I found sensitive information on a scrap Hard Disk, what do I do?"

I just thought a specific forum for people to ask these questions and post news, etc. made sense.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I think this is a very good suggestion.

I realize a lot of new forum types have been suggested by many, many people (myself included) and these need to be carefully considered. There are already a large number of forums to choose from, and it makes for a messy looking forum list at best. Maybe a restructuring of the forums we HAVE already, to encompass new ideas and better serve the existing groups already active.

Also, I bet a few of the forums are fairly inactive and could use to be closed out and archived...not sure, but it's entirely possible.

Sorry keezel, I disagree with you...yes I too like discussions of this nature, and could always use some advice on getting out of a speeding ticket, but if they aren't specific to the craft of Information Security, those should probably go in Cosmos.

/* Edit */
    I know I am relatively new to the group, but I would be willing to moderate this forum, if created. I have quite a bit of experience in this area.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Law has always been an interesting topic to me...which should be apparent by some of my posts, such as the one I just posted " Computer Crimes " in Misc. Security.
    And there is a fair amount of discussion on the topic in the forums already from which one could conclude there is enough interest...but it's not usually a topic in and of itself...it's usually a part of another topic and is brought into the conversation.

Personally, I would use a legal forum...but as a topic by itself I'm not sure if it would have enough of an interest to be a forum unto itself.

Eg

My vote is...yes...but I doubt that there will be enough of us interested in it as a stand-alone topic to warrant a forum.