Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Possible Cell Phone Scam

Hey guys

like all the other members of this thread, I too have had these calls, I'm in Montreal, and that's not the only number that is calling to my house, I also get phone calls from 381-088-1445, it's probably related and the area code is from Virginia. I never got to answer my phone in time to even get the automatic message, that's probably because they call at 3 AM and 4 AM at least twice per week!!! can I sue their @sses for this?? heh, anyway, I was fed up and tried a search on the net, the 381-088-1445 doesn't appear anywhere on Google, but I'm glad I found this thread with the other number. I'm also with Bell so there is no use for me to call them as some of you guys already have, but I'll check this forum from time to time to check up on updates. Keep up the good work!

Ok i got the 305 area code number call my land line the last 2 days but I was not in. And then today I got a call on my cell phone from that same number. So i figured it might be someone i know, never bothered to call it back before. Then I hear the crap about the $99 Fl vacation. I pressed 9 to speak to someone to ream em out about it being illegal to call as a telemarketer on a cell phone here in canada. Well I was on hold for a couple of minutes then it hung up.
    So I highly doubt they can hijack your cell for long distance BUT just to be on the safe side as who knows what can be done with the technology today. I called Bell Canada and they are aware of this, they have been getting customers calling about this number and the woman was very nice and took down the info. Also she put me through directly to Bell Mobility. And the woamn there was very helpful and basically overall there is not much that can be done right now. But I say call your cell provider and local phone provider and give them as much details as you can. I even gave them this site to check out too for the threads. Seems this is a new thing, telemarketing scams originating from the US. Thing is how do they get our cell numbers??
    Anyhow Bell will watch your long distance charges, and anything that seems strange they will look into. I would tell them the places you call frequently so that they will be aware of any odd numbers coming up, especially on your cell phone.
    I am gonna pass this info onto some co-workers to alert them. Very strange and looks like something new.

Hey Hey,

This thread has been dead for a while, although the forum is too... I'm finally over my sickness (which sucked)... out of exam week (although tests start again in a week) and done a major website I was hired to design so I've got some time to post. Anyways I wanted to bring this form back just to say that the calls are still occuring. I received my second call from this number on Saturday... I'm guessing they got to the end of their list and started over. The thing I don't like is that they don't have to comply to any Canadian laws.... In Canada (learned this working at a call center), it's aginst the law for a call center to leave a message on voice mail.... that's why you usually hear Hello... Hello... hello... click... This company however is leaving voicemail with their entire recorded message.. I pay 25C/minute for long distance and I pay for voicemail... This is a real problem for me... I had to pay while they left a long distance telemarketing/scam attempt... I'm going to call the phone company again and see what happens, but who knows what they'll say.

Anyways just an update.

Peace,
    HT