Seriously. I want to shake this guy and remind him: IT'S A FREAKIN' GAME, DUDE!!! GET A LIFE!! THEY'RE $10 AT THE DOOR!!!

That aside, I have seen game addiction result in divorce and near breakups. There is one game I used to play that resulted in being so involved because of the character development was actually part of the player itself (it was entirely text-based and revolved around interactions between people for political and social power within the game) that it wasn't unusual to see people playing 24-hours straight (I've done it and it did strain my relationship). But at least I did clue in that it was getting out of hand and got a clue (and a life).

So now I'm addicted to cycling instead.

Source: Canoe.ca

The cruelest form of revenge: deleting your ex's video game data out of spite
Will this poor soul ever play an MMORPG again?
By Eric Weiner
January 21, 2005

Those who are in close dating relationships might want to take heed to one man's "punishment" for breaking up with his girlfriend--backup your data, at least whenever possible! A player of the semi-popular MMORPG Lineage lost a multitude of game-data when his ex-girlfriend illegally broke into his account and deleted his file. In Lineage players must battle hordes of enemies in order to raise the funds to buy more powerful weapons at exorbitant prices, so even though no real money was stolen, the fake funds this 30-something lost will undoubtedly be quite painful to him. Perhaps the message that can be gleaned here is that if you're going to dump someone, dump that person as gently as possible.

This is not the first time playing an MMORPG has resulted in additional angst. In the most extreme example to date, 21-year-old Wisconsin resident Shawn Wooley commited suicide on Thanksgiving morning 2001. He would play the game almost non-stop, and the reason for his suicide was ostensibly because a fellow "guild member" stole his vast amount of in-game currency.