Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MotherBoard Siren

MotherBoard Siren

Well, Folks, I've done it again. This time it has happened while isntalling a new Power Supply. Took out the old one, stuck in my new one. Plugged everything in (was extra careful this time, I was so sure nothing was going to go wrong this time). But when i plugged everything back in, and turned on my pc, a Siren noise started going out as soon as i pressed the power button. After about 5 seconds of that, the computer shuts off. I searched google for "motherboard siren", some forums came up with similar problems, but never any definite answers of whether or not the ideas worked. So I figured I'd come here since this forum has never let me down. BTW, I tested both the old and new power supplies with only the motherboard and HD plugged in. Same thing happens. And all fans are functioning fine.

So here are the specs of my PC:
    New PSU - ANTEC TRUE550 ATX RTL
    Old PSU - Forget the make and model, but it was a 450W
    MotherBoard - GIGABYTE|GA-7VT600-RZ KT600
    Processor - AMD|2600/333 ATHLON XP BARTON R
    Video Card - VGA GIGABYTE|GV-N52128D FX5200 RET
    Memory - DDRAM TRANSCEND|PC3200 512MB RTL

I've checked gigabytes site, their online manual doesn't work(gives me an error when I try to open) and its search function doesn't seem to work, So I can't seem to try and search for the problem. And the manual that came with the MB is a joke, like 20 pages long, and not one page of troubleshooting or help. So any help is much appreciated.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Was there any reson to change the PSU ?
    Apart from wanting to ?

Had there been any anomalies in the start up recently ? [it may be un-related to the PSU]

Asking, because the old adage still stands: If it ain't broke; don't fix it......

[edit]
    I'll assume that the PSU was purchased locally [no voltage / frequency issues ?]
    because it is possible that you've managed to fry the Mo/Bo, and putting the original PSU back wouldn't really help by then..........

Luck to you.

And BE [MORE] CAREFUL.

[edit 2]
    their online manual doesn't work(gives me an error when I try to open)
    If you have a F/W up and running, it is possible that it is stoppin the manual from D/Ling. Try it with F/W disabled.

RE-ENABLE IT AFTER. DON'T FORGET
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Funny thing, at work I burned out two Gigabyte Mobo's (will look up the type monday)..
    Never had such things happen with an other brand..

Might just be coincidence..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

"motherboard siren"
    what is it just screaming at you or is it Beeps..

The manual will tell you jack ****.. if you don't know what your looking for.. the one that come with most of these boards is similar to the prinetd copy..

If it is just screaming at you.. have you been over-clocking the machine?
    if it is beeping.. what is the sequence of the beeps? or is it a continuous tone..
    HAve you bothered to try reseting the BIOS?.. dunno how with out the Manual.. pull the battery for an hour or 2...then reinsert the battery.. and reapply power and switch on..
    Have you checked the seating of the AGP video card
    Have you tried reseting the BIOS

BTW the manual has 40 pages..

there are no problems with the PDF file from the Gigabyte site.. what is the error your getting.. I hope you not useing any reader prior to version 5.05 (my test is with v7) reseting the BIOS is on page 16 at the bottom right of the page.. basicly what I said earlier.. except their advice is 30 seconds to leave the bat disconnected..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Replaced the old one because it wasn't large enough. When I installed my second HD, I had to unplug my DVD rom to make it boot.

Their site seems to be working now, so maybe i'll send their tech support an email. But the error I was getting was a page full of chinese symbols and other mumbo jumbo.

The PSU was boight on newegg, and I checked the voltages before I plugged it in, everyseemed ok.

As for the noise. It is screaming, theres no beeps. It literally makes a siren noise, just imagine a slimmed down firetruck. I'll go ahead and try flashing the bios. Nothing in my machne has ever been overclocked. As for the AGP slot question, I never even touched it, so I doubt it moved on its own. But anyways...Ideas, anyone else have some? Or is this siren thing like uncharted territory?
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Ive never heard of a siren on a m/b before, there is usually a sequence of beeps that tell you what is wrong with it.

Just an idea but it could be some kind of alarm to let you now that the case has been opened, maybe you have to reset a jumper to turn it off or something along them lines?

Just tried flashing the bios, didn't help. As for an alarm jumper...the only one I can find it to clear the CMOS

--Do any of you think maybe a heat sensor or something was shorted, and maybe the alarm thinks something is overheating?

Old Fart
    The ONLY time I've ever heard of anything like this was an instance where during bootup one of the keys on the keyboard was stuck, resulting in a sound that could be construed as a "siren". Food for thought.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

haha...i wish. But that wouldn't explain the shutting off of my computer after 5 or so seconds of that. So would you guys say I could safely assume that this is being caused by a motherboard malfunction? Whether is be from a short in the circuitry or whatever unknown effect is causing this.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'd normally suggest swapping out the Mo/Bo to prove the PSU being good.
    But here, there is a possibility that you could fry another Mo/Bo..................

And to prove the PSU requires it to be plugged in.

Could you put the original PSU with a different - new Mo/Bo, just so we can be fairly certain that the old PSU is OK? and then we can start to assume that the Mo/Bo is indeed fritzed :smokey bang:
    It doesn't follow that the new PSU is U/S, but, apart from physically stripping it down, and testing it bit by bit, I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas..........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone