Thread: wireless router to a wired router

wireless router to a wired router

First off this is my first post so I really hope I am doing everything correctly and posted this is the right forum. Also I tired the search but didn’t find anything. I have been kindof fearful to post since I figurged as soon as I did I would find it out on this site.

Here’s the deal. I have a linksys BEFSR81 v3 router (wired). Our network is running fine with no problems. Now my we have a D link 624 wireless router. I am currently a student at a tech school and just basically found my love for network and security but I am still very new. My network now looks like…. the cable modem going to the linksys router (the wired). I then have 1 of the LAN ports going from the linksys to the d-link hooking up to a LAN port (I made sure it wasn’t the wan). So I already config it before connecting everything and I disable DHCP server for the d-link. I also change the IP address of the d-link so it wasn’t the same as the linksys. Also did made password and setup dates and what not.

What I really would like to be able to do is when I go to 192.168.1.1 I get to my Linksys router(which works) but when I go the IP for the d-link it doesn’t . So when I try typing the d-link address in the address bar I can’t get to it. I am wondering what I have to do if you can even can to just enter in an IP address that takes me to my d-link router. Or if I am just not doing right at all and there a much better way to do it if not safer of the security side of things.

Thank you in advance for the help.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    For security reasons I would place the Wireless outside the wired and try putting them on different subnets altogether, (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 for example). then you should be able to "tunnel" through from the wired network to the less secure wireless.

Try it and tell us what you find.... I'd be interested to see if you can make it work. It _should_.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I am sorry, I do not quite understand your question............why do you need TWO routers..........I would have understood you trying to repace the wired one with the wireless, but running the two?

I would be interested to know what additional functionality you expect to obtain, as I have not heard of this kind of set up in your sort of college environment?

Cheers

edit: Damn........Tiger beat me to it............ ................I vaguely remember wired outside and wireless inside...........but that's razor wire we are talking, not a college...............is there anything in the concept Tiger~?

Cheers

Nihil...

It actually does make some sense.... They way I recommended it DMZ's the less secure network.... I've thought about it in the past and have implemented the same at work.... Crack away at that WAP - should take you a week or three with the traffic going over it - Then, just when you think you are "in".... You find that you are still outside the firewall and a VPN authentication is required... You might as well have sat at home and tried to make the VPN connection from there rather then from the "comfort" of your car.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I already them on different subnets sorry i really didn't know the word for it nor there was a term for it. How do i "tunnel" through from the wired network to the less secured wireless. I really have no clue how to do at all, so the more examples the better.

Yes I am in college but I am not living in a dorm im still freeloading off my parents at home. I rather not just use the wireless 24/7 so that's why i want to keep the wired and have 2 routers connected. So basiclly my step dad wants to get online with his laptop and not have my mom complaining about the cat5e cable running around the house and that's why he wanted to get a wireless(Also he already had a wireless card). Also i feel im learning a lot from this. Like i said before im still a "newbie" if you must say the word.

thanks for the help

clickster,

if your wanting examples

My Uncles network was setup by some people he hired (idiot), anywayz, all they had done was buy a 4 port wireless router, configured as dhcp with the exact original settings as his wired dhcp server and plugged it into the LAN port... no WAN or anything, insecure.

But it worked, and so you can just add on the security once you've gone wireless... (not gradually, setup wifi security a-sap)
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

Double: Unless I'm reading that wrong your message implies that the wireless is "inside" the wired network which is less secure for the wired network.

I would set the wireless router up as the primary router. Have it pull the public address from the cable modem and DHCP only as many addresses as your household needs.... Lets say two... So your DHCP should be set to allow two addresses starting at 192.168.1.20 for example. This allows your wireless cards access to the internet etc. Then set up the wired router as say 192.168.1.2 and allow it to DHCP for the wired network on, say, the 192.168.2.0 network. Run a cable from the wireless router to the WAN port of the wired router. The wired router should handle the NAT for the wired network and the wireless router should handle the NAT for both the wireless devices and the already NATed wired workstations.

That should work fine.... If it doesn't you might want to switch the wired router from gateway mode to router mode and add a the default gateway as the LAN address of the wireless router....

I hope that's clearer than mud....

Wireless Router to a wired Router

I do not know about the DHCP addresses and such. But I do want to hook up my wireless router to my wired router so I can share the same network and connection as my wired router. How do I go about hooking these up? My wired router is a netgear 614 and wireless is a netgear wpn824 if that helps.

I just not sure of what I need to setup or where to start? I have Norton firewall on both not including the firewall set up in the wireless. If anyone could help, that would be great.

Thanks