Sorry if this is out of line, but as a parent I couldn't do nothing. I wish I could donate, but as I can't this is all I can do....

On BleepingComputer, one of the mod's neices is in big trouble. She was born with a medical condition which is destroying her liver. At 16 months old she may have only a few more months to live without a live liver donor - and a lot of prayers.

I'm going to copy and paste now Scarlett's post @ BC:

My niece is 16 months old and is in desperate need of a liver transplant. The doctor’s want to do the transplant in the next few weeks. To be able to do that the only option is a live donor. Her doctors haven’t given her much longer to live, a few months at the most. Though she is listed on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) there is such a shortage of organs there is little chance of finding a match in time. This would be an amazing gift to save a little girl's life. If you are unable to help then please ask everyone you know if they would help, and please pray for her.

Thank you so much for reading this letter. Her family has been through so much in the past few months. Her dad safely returned from serving eight and half months active duty in Iraq with the US Army. For which we thank God he was safe. While over there he missed the birth of her little brother Michael, who was born the day after her first birthday. Please think about helping Alexia be able to see her second birthday, and celebrate with her daddy.

Alexia was born with Biliary Atresia, the congenital absence of the ducts that drain bile from the liver for more information on this please read this web page http://www.classkids.org/library/biliaryatresia.htm it not only describes her disorder but also the surgery she went through at 3 weeks of age to save her from having to face this ordeal. However, she was one of the unlucky 20% where the surgery is unsuccessful and the bile damages the liver. The only option left for her is a liver transplant. However, the amazing thing about the human body is an adult can give a third of their liver to her. While their liver will regenerate completely within 3months, Alexia will grow a full liver from that small piece of liver.

This is obviously not an easy decision to make but you will be saving a child’s life. The qualifications are:

1. O positive blood

2. Non-Smoker

3. Reasonably good health. No heart conditions, or high blood pressure

4. age 18-55

The surgery will take place at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, MO. You would be in the hospital for 7-10 days. The recovery time for the donation is longer than most other organ donations. It is about one month full time and two to four weeks part time. Your hospital stay is completely covered by Alexia’s insurance. Also, we realize that taking that much time off work is a huge commitment for someone, so our families are raising money so we can help with travel costs and living expenses.

If you need any more information or have any questions at all feel free to contact Kim Migneco, R.N., the transplant coordinator. If you are interested in being tested to be a donor. Her contact information is. Phone: 314-454-2409 Fax:314-454-2762 - E-Mail .

Thank you,

Alexia's Family