Racist DJ makes fun of tsunami victims
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist DJ makes fun of tsunami victims

Racist DJ makes fun of tsunami victims

I'm just going to quote several sources to tell this story. Easier that way. I've already lodged my complaint and called for this woman to lose her job with the radio station. I hope that more of you will feel the need to do the same.

Call for federal fines, more apologies after station airs 'We Are the World' parody offensive to Asians

Hot 97 radio and morning personality Miss Jones are under fire for airing a racially charged parody song that City Council members yesterday said mocked tsunami victims and Asians.

Despite on-air apologies from Jones and the station yesterday, council members and Asian-American leaders called for federal fines, a stronger apology and for the hip-hop station to fire its morning crew.

The song, to the melody of "We are the World," was played several times since Jan. 18 until it was halted Friday amid complaints. Proceeds from the original song, recorded in 1985, were used for famine relief in Africa.

The parody's lyrics make reference to 20 foot waves and contain racial epithets.

In addition to Miss Jones, the other on-air crew includes DJ Envy, Todd Lynn and Miss Info, a Korean-American woman who was heard on air registering opposition to the song when it was first aired.

Councilman John Liu of Flushing was joined by several colleagues and Asian-Americans who denounced the hosts, Hot 97 and its parent company, Emmis Communications.

"This is utterly irreprehensible," Liu said. "It degrades the more than 200,000 victims, it demeans all of us here in New York City and throughout the world who are engaged in trying to help these victims of the tsunami, and it's an insult to humankind itself."

Liu said he was particularly offended by an on-air exchange in which Lynn said, "I'm gonna start shooting Asians."

After posting an apology on the station's Web site, Miss Jones and the station manager issued an on-air apology yesterday. The Web site said Jones and others on the show will donate a week's salary to tsunami relief efforts.

John Dimick, the station's program director, declined to elaborate yesterday except to say, "We regret the airing of it and we apologize to our listeners."

A spokesman for the Federal Communications Commission said he couldn't comment without a formal complaint and before listening to the lyrics.

The station was home to the controversial "Star and Buc Wild," who were yanked in 2003, but not before they were suspended for offensive comments. The two recently returned to the air on Power 105.

In addition to calling for a FCC probe, Liu said the company should donate a "substantial" amount of revenues to the relief effort.

"We have to go after their advertisers," said Councilman James Gennaro, (D-Fresh Meadows).

Hot 97 facts

Based: Manhattan

Owner: Emmis

Morning show hosts: leader Miss Jones, DJ Envy, gossip reporter Miss Info and comedian Todd Lynn
    Taken from this site.

Check out this longer clip from the now-infamous Hot 97 morning show. It gets pretty ugly. Before introducing the "Tsunami Song," Miss Jones and co-host Todd Lynn start attacking Miss Info (who is Asian) when she vocalizes her objections to the song. They get all into it, and Miss Jones finally tells Info she's only complaining because "you feel superior, probably because you're Asian." When Miss Info stands her ground, and makes it clear that the song is offensive to Asians, Lynn says, "I'm gonna start shooting Asians." What the hell? That's racist!
    Taken from this site. This same link will provide the lyrics to the song.

The contact information for the radio station is:

hot97@hot97.com

or

morningshow@hot97.com

I hope that more of you will speak up with me and others who have done so. This woman doesn't deserve a public voice on American radio...or anywhere else.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Perhaps it would be better to file a complaint with the FCC.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Hate to say this, but that's just fascist. Just because you don't like her message doesn't mean this woman should lose her job. As an American she's entitled to say whatever floats her boat as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights and since you have the choice of switching to a different station, I don't see any problem. Was what she said inapproriate? Sure, but since it's nothing harmful or dangerous, I see no reason to burn this woman at the stake as you suggest. I'll leave you with some words that our founding fathers thought were important:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I'm not denying her right to say it. I'm denying her right to be on a public radio station being paid to say it. And exercising my right of free speech.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned
    As you said, it's public, you have the choice of not listening or listening. She's paid to be a radio personality and that's exactly what she was doing. It's like e-mailing Air America saying that Al Franken is offensive and call for his resignation, it just doesn't work. My solution is simple, change the station.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    And maybe delete the lyrics ...................

In this world we live in ...........................
    There are ALWAYS going to be those that will cheer anothers misfortune.
    That is human nature.

But it is also human nature to rise above things, to look to the future, and to try and find a better way.

Thankfully, [in my experience] there are a LOT more of the second catagory around.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hate to say this, but that's just fascist. Just because you don't like her message doesn't mean this woman should lose her job. As an American she's entitled to say whatever floats her boat as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights and since you have the choice of switching to a different station, I don't see any problem.
    You're right. She has the right to say what she wants. Just as much as those that don't agree have the right to file a complaint (grievance) with the FCC (government) as well as stop buying from advertisers and stop listening to the radio station, which in turn will lose money and will have no choice but to cut back. That may result in a job(s) lost. So, if I was a radio station, I'd weigh the financial balance book versus 1st Admendement.

Additionally, there is a question of whether this is actually a freedom of expression. If she's apologized about it, then I'd think she doesn't agree with the statement and it's not an expression of her beliefs (which, IIRC, is what the 1st Amendment was designed for). Howard Stern was pulled over some of his more raunchier comments, AFAIK. How is this different?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I was always told that the right to free speech was of the utmost importance.............

But it doesn't mean you can scream FIRE, in a crowded theatre..................
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    You're right. She has the right to say what she wants. Just as much as those that don't agree have the right to file a complaint (grievance) with the FCC (government) as well as stop buying from advertisers and stop listening to the radio station, which in turn will lose money and will have no choice but to cut back. That may result in a job(s) lost. So, if I was a radio station, I'd weigh the financial balance book versus 1st Admendement.

Additionally, there is a question of whether this is actually a freedom of expression. If she's apologized about it, then I'd think she doesn't agree with the statement and it's not an expression of her beliefs (which, IIRC, is what the 1st Amendment was designed for). Howard Stern was pulled over some of his more raunchier comments, AFAIK. How is this different?
    Firstly, I doubt this incident will stop people from listening to the radio station. Odds are it'll just the opposite and increase numbers since the increase in publicity will tune more listeners to it.

And now I'm just going off an assumption here. I highly doubt her apology was one for playing a paraody on the radio, but rather a smart move to try to keep her job. Howard Stern wasn't yanked off anything, he was fined by the FCC and then signed a contract with Sirius or some other satellite radio company to do an unrated and uncensored show via satellite.

I was always told that the right to free speech was of the utmost importance.............

But it doesn't mean you can scream FIRE, in a crowded theatre..................
    Freedom of speech without infringing on the rights of others or causing danger.

...say whatever floats her boat as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights...

Clear Channel Communications did indeed "yank" Howard Stern from (IIRC) about 20 of their stations, which was what precipitated his move to Sirius.