Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locking files in windows 98 using ALT key

locking files in windows 98 using ALT key

hi
    First, Thanks for u all for answering my previous post and clearing my doubt.

Now i hav another problem i hav locked my files in windows 98 by using ALT and numbers.But anyone else can open it by going do DOS prompt and using edit or some othe command without using the key i had given. One of my collegue open it without using the ALT key.How can i do that?Hoping u guys will help me out

Thanks in advance
    Bijoy

What are you talking about?

That trick only worked in dos, by putting invisible characters in the filename.
    I don't know of any effective way to hide files in win98.

If you want to protect your stuff, you need XP (NT or 2000), and use the
    NTFS file system.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

This method is valid only under Windows systemes. Becuase Windows cannot read files that have been renamed by DOS using ALT+Number {ASCII Characters}, so when it comes to DOS those files' names are no longer encrypted, and as a result it can be opend readily.
    If you have a burning desier to protect your files, there are plenty of file protectors out there. They protect your files by providing a Password for the file. Purchse one an enjoy the Benefits.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    If you copy the file to a floppy and open it in a Xp system it no longer works.

Well, here are a few points to consider:

The Windows 9x family were designed for stand alone, home computing. Security was not really considered to be an issue, unlike NT.

If anyone has physical access to your computer then your data are not secure.....................it is only a matter of time...............irrespective of your security.

If you do a google search for "freeware" and check out the first few pages, I am sure that you can find systems to both encrypt and password protect your files/folders.

What you have been doing is effectively "security through obscurity", which should never be relied on as a primary defence.

cheers

PGP Freeware v6.5.8 is now available for Windows 95/98/NT/2000! and the Macintosh

PGP® or Pretty Good Privacy® is a powerful cryptographic product family that enables people to securely exchange messages, and to secure files, disk volumes and network connections with both privacy and strong authentication
    Click Here:

Connection refused, try again later.

Hi
    I know that this trick work only in windows 98 i also have programs like folderlock etc to prtect my files and installed red hat linux 7 in my box but i want 2 more abt this trick thats why i asked one of my buddy told me that the files that have been renamed by DOS using ALT+Number {ASCII Characters} can be opened without knowing with which ASCII characters it has been renamed by usind edit or someother command in DOS. I am intrested in knowing that guys. Plz lets talk abt that

There really isn't that much to talk about. If you name a file in DOS, then DOS will show you that file and its DOS file name.

Similarly, a file with a Windows long file name will be truncated by DOS, which can only handle 8 characters. You can easily demonstrate this by creating a folder of long name files and looking at them in Explorer, and then by running Winfile.exe (a DOS based file manager). Explorer will show the full name, whilst Winfile will not.

I think that your confusion has arisen because your experiment was too small? If you had 50,000 files that had been renamed, it would be a different proposition. DOS will ONLY show you the DOS name, not the original Windows name or any idea as to the contents. So you would have to open a lot of files.....

As I mentioned in my previous post, Win9x is not a secure OS, anyone who can log in has full Administrator rights, so if you can see a file so can they, as they have access to exactly the same tools.

It never was a security measure....................a power up password is more effective..........at least that requires knowledge of jumper switches and how to use a screwdriver

Here's it guys.to unlock the folder/directory just type "ren ? anything" & aila!!! its open & is renamed as that "anything" you typed.this is cool but useless in XP environment,remember. Enjoy yourself.
    Debashis