Solaris 10 to go open source.

Thread: Solaris 10 to go open source.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Post Solaris 10 to go open source.

Been out trolling again :
    Found on VNUNet :

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1160777
    Microsystems has officially opened up the source code for its Solaris 10 operating system.

The complete source code will be made available in the second quarter of this year. In a first step, the company has put the code for DTrace up on OpenSolaris.org. The system performance optimisation tool was unveiled last November as part of the Solaris 10 launch.

Sun chief executive Scott McNealy revealed during a conference call that the Solaris code will be made available under Sun's Common Development and Distribution Licence (CDDL). The licence was recently granted official open source status by the Open Source Initiative.

The licence lets users make adjustments to the application without having to disclose too many details about the services that they ultimately deploy.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    OK, I'm bumping this because I'm certain that someone posted a link to the FREE OS, and I'm also certain that I cannot find it.................

I'm sure that it was nihil who asked the question, and a reply came saying that Solaris is now a free D/L ..............

Anyone know where the link is ??

Please don't tease and post "Yes, I know"

I after a D/L to try out, as I've just discovered a perk to this job of mine ..........
    The Tech Colleges throw out SKIP loads of PC's [ PII and III's] and I'm getting half a dozen old boxes tomorrow.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Solaris 10 is a completely free download off the Sun page, 4 cds or 1 dvd's worth of stuff [didn't get a chance to test it out just yet].

If you mean the source code, I have no idea, but I would assume it's also linked from the Sun site...
    /\\

I downloaded one of their last pre-release betas for X86 and was less than amused. It was very unstable, had no application support, and I had nothing but issues. This to me was seriously disappointing since I have been using Solaris since 2.5 and had been pretty happy with the last three incarnations (7,8,9). Anyway, I was sadly disappointed with the pre-release and that is pretty much what pushed me to Fedora after having used Solaris since 93.

Haven't tried it since it was officially released, so things I would assume are better now, but wanted to give a heads up that there were issues a while back with it. The ISO images can be downloaded from here:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

Sun does require you to create / register a free account to download it. They also appear to now be offering DVD images as well.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I downloaded and tried it today..it was very very slow on my pentium 3 (this is testing comp). and took alot of space ..I have 512 MB but still need more space for java apllication software,etc.

I haven't try it yet on my pentium 4 and I am hoping much faster then pentium 3
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!