Thread: USB power failure

USB power failure

I connect to the internet using HPNA USB adapter and I suspect that there's something wrong on the usb port itself.I have a printer connected on the same usb port but when I disconnect the printer,it works fine.I've heard about the power management option in USB I wonder if that would help resolve my problem.How do I turn power management off?Is it off or on?

How about this:

What Operating system?: I am about to assume Red Hat Fedora Core 3
    What Motherboard?: My assumption is MSI MS-6862
    What Brand Of Modem?: My Assumption is DLink DSL-200

I also assume your connecting Both devices into the same USB socket (Port) .. .. if you have 2 devices in the same socket you would be lucky if any of them worked.. .. now if there connecedt via a HUB.. you may find that the Modem's drivers may not enjoy sharing the port.. not much you can do..

But give us a bit more information.. we are not a bunch of mind readers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I'm using XP..my modem is 2wire homeportal.The printer is sharing the same usb ports.I tried to plug the adapter in the usb socket in front of the pc and it still wont work.

The problem with USB modems is that the vast majority of them require 500 Miiliwatts to work and a USB port only puts out 500 milliwatts, so if it drops a few M/W it will likley disconnect.

There is not a great deal you can do about this, just make sure any drivers are up to date, and try not to have too many usb devices running at once.

I tried to plug the adapter in the usb socket in front of the pc and it still wont work.
    Does that mean that you have a USB port at the front AND the back of your machine? If so, what happens when you attach one device to the front and the other to the back?

I am trying to prove nokia's suggestion. A modem and a printer are both power hungry.

If as you say, your printer will not work at all when you plug it into the usb ports on your pc, have you checked that they are enabled in your BIOS. The usb ports at the front of a case usually require connecting stright into a socket on your mother board, is this a home made box or a bought one?

oh ok..I gotta check my bios and check if the front usb is enabled there. TNX