Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux firewall

Check out Smoothwall's Community Forums @ http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/ .....

and ....

http://martybugs.net/smoothwall/iptables.cgi for info on tweaking iptables rules in Smoothwall, this guys site has a few other handy tips for Smoothwall too.

It was exactly what I nedded!

Thank you!

also, try going to linux distro just google it, they have a section on just security/firewall and you have your pick of alot, a new firewall that came out thats like smoothwall is m0no wall those are zeroes just google m0n0 i think you should check that out, i used smoothwall and smoothwall corporate, i havent loaded m0n0 yet but ive seen my friend run it its based off freebsd.

M0n0 looks quite interesting also, I was looking for something compact that runs in small boxes for another project.... And this seems to be the solution.... And seems to be more flexible than smoothwall (I have it running in "semiproduction" though )

Thank you!!

Thats the only downfall to some of the gui firewall distro's like smoothwall and ipcop, which i think are both great, is that they do not allow you to gui edit the iptable chains. Sooner or later you will have to kill some kind of connection either input or output and will have to learn at least the basics of iptables. They are execllent starts though. I recommend IPcop, its had my home networking running for over a year.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Originally posted here by kr5kernel
    Thats the only downfall to some of the gui firewall distro's like smoothwall and ipcop, which i think are both great, is that they do not allow you to gui edit the iptable chains. Sooner or later you will have to kill some kind of connection either input or output and will have to learn at least the basics of iptables. They are execllent starts though. I recommend IPcop, its had my home networking running for over a year.
    Is then IPcop allowing to you change the iptable chains from the gui?

Originally posted here by kr5kernel
    Thats the only downfall to some of the gui firewall distro's like smoothwall and ipcop, which i think are both great, is that they do not allow you to gui edit the iptable chains.
    Yeap, that isnt good for learning, but excellent for security. Like in smoothwall, the interface is pretty simple and disallow the user to do stupid changes in chains.

You cant imagine what i use to see on some netfilters configuration.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I agree with you that the best is learn how it works... I did something in the university about the chains couple years ago... some app called iproute2.. Is this familiar to you?

By the way, if you want to install some firewall software from scratch in a dedicated box, what Linux distro you would use? And how can you configure the system to be secure enough to be a firewall????

IPCop

using IPCop here and having no issues at all, seems lke a very sturdy and easy to use solution, ben up for over 100 days and nothing has gone wrong and it seems to stop what i am asking it to stop!!