Thread: New Forum - Phishing and Scams

New Forum - Phishing and Scams

Hey Hey,

I attempted a thread on the subject but since it's going all to hell how about this for a suggestion...

Give us a new forum... Phishing and 411/Nigerian Scams.. Phishing and Scams... Something along those lines... I'll even volunteer to mod it if none of the current mods want the task...

It could be limited on what is posted.. very limited... anything off topic in the forum = deleted... People post a scam or phishing attempt that they've recieved... it can be discussed in the thread and that's about it...

Anyways.. just an idea ... a Cataloguing forum basically.

Peace,
    HT

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I actually agree with this idea and like it. At one point I wouldn't have thought it an issue but lately the phishing, scams and spam have reached near epidemic proportions (heck, they are outstripping the Full Disclosure emails 3-to-1 in my mailboxes). Additionally, people may think that these aren't of great concern particularly in a work environment. I'd disagree and that's where this can come in handy. If an employee gets caught in one of these scams they aren't going to be too willing to tell someone and will be rather pre-occupied with the results rather than work. Phishing is also an area that might take advantage of a company setup for employees (say a benefits site) and this too would affect the corporation.

Anyways, my 2 cents worth.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I think it's a good idea as well. I'd be willing to help HTRegz with mod duties. It would be pretty simple, cut and paste messages (for email) etc. Members could weigh in on different points...analyze the headers, examine the source code...I've gotten some phishing HTML formatted emails that, the link indicates it is going to a legitimate URL, but the page (since its a web page, really, just in your email program) has a layer that, no matter where you click, takes you to Mr. Blackhat's phishing page. It's actually a somewhat sophisticated phish attack.

I think this could be of real value.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hey Hey,

I just wanted to give this a little bump so that it get's more acknowledgement... good or bad.... feedback is feedback.... I'd also like to point out to the powers that be the number of new members this forum could attract... Just take a look at the thread I started on the possible cell phone scam.. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...0&pagenumber=1... It now has several members who have signed up just to post... as well as a couple that haven't posted but have signed up to PM regarding the topic... As far as I understand bigger member list means more traffic means more sales ad revenue... which to me means this idea is a benefit to both the members and the corporation.

Peace,
    HT

I think it should have it's own forum as well. The increase in the popularity of phishing warrants a move beyond the General Security Discussion forum. I'm sure the % of phishing related post will go up if there is a specific forum.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

AO French Antique News Whore
    *SDK smack is yes vote in*
    -Simon \"SDK\"

You wanted it, you got it! Thanks HTRegz--btw, poof you're a mod!
    intmon

Hey Hey,

Thanks the forum and the 'mod thingie' are greatly appreciated .. especially the forum.

Peace,
    HT

AO French Antique News Whore
    Hmmm, maybe I should suggest a News Forum that I could mod!

Congrat HTRegz!
    -Simon \"SDK\"