Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some reviews on NetNanny-ish apps

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Need some reviews on NetNanny-ish apps

I don't have time to test all the various NetNanny apps so I am asking anyone who has experience with any available product to give some feedback on what you feel are good ones. I have to quickly select one (as in tomorrow) and I need all the info I can get.

Thanks!!

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I used to use something Called Big Brother... http://www.iambigbrother.org.

Worked great for me. You can monitor BOTH sides of an IM conversation and that was crucial for me.

keyloggers arent bad, zonealarm will filter webcontent, but with the information you gave, a good answer isnt possible, if the "child" is 14 or so, you had best let them know they are being monitored, as its a huge breach of trust, apps will never take the place of a good human relationship and god forbid they find out you are monitoring without their knowledge

so waht do you want to do?? log their activities, filter content?? put a time limit on them??
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Hoss:

Kid problems....

Sorry, I'm no help... I spy on my users remotely when they are doing bad things....

There's a few "sniffer type" apps out there that recreate the whole IM/http/smtp etc conversation for you to look at out there.... I just don't remember the specifics.... I do know there are a few that dump it all out nicely for you to see..... Most of them have "trail" versions IIRC...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Home or work?

Work - Websense
    Home - www.software4parents.com
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Regal Making Handler
    Norton Internet Security has a good parental control feature. Regular URL updates, auto config based on windows account type or manual config. Content filtering is effective. Plus it has add blocking, which can help (good for sites that link to adult content).

Probably more than what you nead, with a firewall and AV, but it could be an option.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Thanks gang. Sorry I was so general in my question as I hate that myself. I have to quickly throw some content filtering software on 4 workstations that will be used by ex cons. They will be sitting behind a cable modem separate from our core network, in a secure area, etc., etc.. Since they are only supposed to be able to go to job related sites, I'm looking for a quick and dirty solution until a formal solution is approved.

Thanks!

PS
    My kids know they're PWN3D when using computers at my home. They don't even bother to try anymore.

Hehehe.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Wish I could help ...

I used NetNanny until my youngest turned 14 ... wroked well, simple, quick, but still monitored him via networked computers and he knew it so that may have played a part.

I know some School / Municipal Library syatems that use Websense and claim to have success but that is only based on their limited/self protective claims, no documentation ( and NO LOGGING! ) to back it up.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I agree with RoadClosed and IKnowNot.

Websense is the best for your needs. It is very customizable.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Thanks gang. Sorry I was so general in my question as I hate that myself. I have to quickly throw some content filtering software on 4 workstations that will be used by ex cons. They will be sitting behind a cable modem separate from our core network, in a secure area, etc., etc.. Since they are only supposed to be able to go to job related sites, I'm looking for a quick and dirty solution until a formal solution is approved.
    From my perspective, you could be doing things a bit safer than simply installing child monitoring software on the workstation. Why not setup your/a proxy server to regulate and more importantly log the traffic?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?