Thread: Hard disk data unaccessable

Hard disk data unaccessable

I am using win2k on ntfs file system.My two drives are unaccessable f: and g:when I boot my system. What can be the reason, after third boot all disk was unable to be accessed, when I tried to format my c: through win2k bootable cd. It was shown
    c:
    d: unformated disk
    e: unformated disk
    f: unformated disk
    g: unformated disk
    What is the reason?

Then I tried an other hard drive. This one also is not working, When I tried to format this hard disk. There was an error message "kernal_data_inpage_error" what can be the reason, The same message was also shown in previous hard drive.

you can start here: it is Misrocoft..

edit\ wrong link try this one.. sry
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_stp_fvlq.asp

from the GOOGLE search I did (arent I nice saveing you ALL THAT HARD WORK) it would appear that you have a problem with the HDD.. you may need to run one of the manufacturers tools, like SeaTools from seagate.. Mind that is the one thing that google wouldn't tell me.. what brand of HDD you had...

You could be lucky like me and had the controller card on the HDD just up and Die with out so much as a warning or a thank-you or by your leave..... .. aint it lovely way to test your backup proceedures..lol
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I'm unclear here, sounds like hardware problem, but more info would be nice.
    First thing that didn't quite make sense, you said you can't access drives f: and g:, then say you went to format c: ?

How many physical drives ? What is the layout ?
    example:
    primary master - drive c 20 gig
    secondary master - drives f and g 120 gig
    primary slave – dvd burner, drive d
    primary slave – dvd player, drive e
    ??????????
    something like that. It would be nice to know if they are all one drive, multiple drives, etc.

Does the bios recognize the drives ?
    Have you changed any hardware recently?
    Have you inspected the cables ? ( and made sure they didn't come loose, pinched, melted ? )
    Have you tested the drives in another computer ?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

AO Senior Cow-beller
    www.ultimatebootcd.com has a lot of the major HDD vendors tools on it, and it is a bootable CD, so you don't have to worry about the OS being flaky...it could help you work out a lot of the problems you seem to be experiencing. As for how to use it, there is a lot of doco on their site.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

use knoppix

@IKnowNot
    I have two hard drives quantum of 10gb and maxtor of 40gb, and check both one by one

first of 40 gb:
    c:
    d: unformated disk
    e: unformated disk
    f: unformated disk
    g: unformated disk
    I have not checked my drives in other computer

Second hard drive:
    c:
    d:
    e:

yes bios recognises the drives. I have checked all cables. If there is hard drive problem then both should not have the same problem, I think.
    When I tried to install winxp then error message was "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR".

When I format the c: drive. It is formated occurate, but operating system is not installed rightly.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    It sounds to me that you tried to partition your disk and never formated the other partitions... It definitly doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me, since you had the problem with both HD's... Has your computer shown them before and all of a sudden they disapeared? If not, what are some recent changes you made on your computer??

If all else fails, I would back up the C: drive and start fdisking from a bootable, formating all the drives and partitions over... if you can't then it's a hardware problem...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools