Is Mr. Zarkawi crying in his coffee?

View Poll Results: Which firewall distro you use?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • ipcop

8 72.73%
  • openwall

0 0%
  • m0n0wall

2 18.18%
  • redWall Firewall

0 0%
  • LEAF

0 0%
  • devil-linux

0 0%
  • coyote

1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mr. Zarkawi crying in his coffee?

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Is Mr. Zarkawi crying in his coffee?

From everything I can see, even from the more liberal, (for want of a better way of putting it), media the election in Iraq was a resounding success, a huge blow for the insurgency, a positive victory for the human spirit and something of a vindication of President Bush's policy despite the apathy and condemnation of many.

No, I'm not naive enough to believe that everything will be peachy from here on in but the signs are there for everyone to see.... The joy of so many, the turnout itself, the relatively low level of violence and the determination, through fear, of so many.

I think a message has been sent - not only to the "little" things like the insurgency but also to the Arab world and the world as a whole.... Given the choice people want a choice.....

Thoughts, expectations, hopes, fears?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    I agree Tiger, but my name wouldn't be Negative if I wouldn't counter some of it

While the turn-out was higher than expected, "only" 60% of those who registered themselves went to vote... that's not "overwhelming". The turn-out was a complete success in the North (Kurd-territory) and in the South (Sjiites), but in the West (Sunnites) the turn-out was close to zero, as it was in the big cities (Baghdad's turn-out was close to zero, apart from the small Sjiite community - same for Ramadi and Mosul, and Samara where the elections got cancelled). It's not surprising that the Sunnites didn't show up - they're boycotting the elections out of fear for Sjiite leadership... Leadership that will consist of some funky ayatollah - and he's not Iraqi, he's Iranian. That should get interesting: Iraq being led by an Iranian... can't wait to see what will happen if the US ever attacks Iran

And then there's the problem of other neighbors: most of them (all the Gulf states, and Lebanon, Syria, and Jemen) have Sjiite minorities. Authorities in those countries are already in arms to prepare for what might happen when the Sjiites win in Iraq.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    "only" 60% of those who registered themselves went to vote... that's not "overwhelming".
    But it IS more than the UK general election of 2001 : 59%.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=265645
    Link to the other Iraqi election thread.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    Is that 59% of eligible voters, or 59% of people who registered themselves? Just wondering, because if only 50 people would register, then even a 100% turn-out wouldn't be that impressive

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by Negative
    Is that 59% of eligible voters, or 59% of people who registered themselves? Just wondering, because if only 50 people would register, then even a 100% turn-out wouldn't be that impressive
    Given the circumstances within which they had to vote....possible bombings, injury, even death....either way, I'd say it's impressive.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Regal Making Handler
    A C130 has gone down north of Bagdad, with a loss of at least 15 Brits. The elections are not even news for me at this time.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

********** |ceWriterguy
    I can only imagine what it would be if 60 percent of Americans who were registered to vote actually voted - can you say 'Record Voter Turnout?' It is indeed an overwhelming response. Don't let the statistics fool you.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    Black > I'm not letting statistics fool me... I was just wondering (and still am) what is meant by "registered voters"? Is it people that are eligible to vote (everyone between 18 and 150 or whatever), or is it people who registered to vote? That makes a huge difference...
    From what I've heard, around 8 million Iraqi's turned up, and that indeed is a huge turn-up
    If I'm correct, that's waaaay more than the American turn-up....

Still: if the majority grabs the power (the sjiites), and they will - hold your wallet, cause you're going to be paying taxes for another couple years of "peace-keeping". I'm just saying that it's far from over there... no matter who wins. If the majority wins (the Sjiites), the sunites are going to get maaaad... like they are now, but times 10. If the minority wins (the Sunites), everything will remain the same... so the US can invade them again

In short iraq is still more or less ****ed up for a couple of years. If not longer.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

It will be interesting to see what will happen if the wrong group (from the americain point of view) wins the elections. Will bush pull the army out and respect the wishes of the voters or will a security force need to stay in place to protect the newly elected goverment. There is a very good probablity that Iraq will turn into another Iran.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)