Thread: VPN Client

VPN Client

I am looking for a VPN client. Can you suggest me some please ?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Well, what are your requirements?

Windows has a nice one built in...
    Check Point sells some decent devices and software...
    Nortel, Cisco, AT&T...

I guess what I'm getting at is, what are you connecting to, what are you using, etc.? I've got a fair amount of exp. in this area, and can probably guide you to some resources.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I've used the checkpoint, cisco and ssh sentinel clients.

ssh sentinel was my favorite, but they no longer have a free version. It has gone through a number of name changes since I've used it, but it became safenet sentinel and then ncp secure vpn entry client.

Here is a decent walkthrough on the windows vpn client.
    http://rucs.rutgers.edu/vpn/vpn_files/os_clients.php3
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you are looking at an organization level solution Cisco has a brandable client that makes distribution very easy, but it requires connecting to a Cisco device (router or VPN concentrator). If you would like more detailed info let me know.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Cisco is certainly robust...I've found, however, that it doesn't play well with others (other clients being installed, that is.)

Checkpoint seems to be the same way.

And no, I'm not talking about difficulties when trying to establish tunnels with both at the same time.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by zencoder
    Cisco is certainly robust...I've found, however, that it doesn't play well with others (other clients being installed, that is.)

Checkpoint seems to be the same way.

And no, I'm not talking about difficulties when trying to establish tunnels with both at the same time.
    Would you mind offering some specifics?

I have clients from Jupiter (Netscreen), Cisco, and Checkpoint installed and would like to confirm where they play nice and where they don't.

Were you speaking of Windows clients or UNIX clients or both?

I know many VPN clients (Windows based in particular) preload to be able to adjust the network stack to help auto-negotiate tunnels when a host is destined for a pre-determined route that is supposed to be encrypted.

Of course, not "playing nice" in this instance would make sense and you would not want to pre-load as is common with other similar software.