SUSE LINUX 9.2; An arrogant look at the best

Thread: SUSE LINUX 9.2; An arrogant look at the best

Today I got it finally and after about 5 hours I've finally installed it. The reason fir it taking so long for me to install, isn't because it was hard, but because I was so busy staring at the beautiful CD DVD case and the box and the books it came with.

The case in SUSE Linux has always been a cool one that was usually a thick cardboard type material. Not anymore, the case for 9.2 is a huge thick plastic that looks like a case for a DVD movie. The books are awesome. The Admin book which has always been a good thick book to help you out with being root, is now the size of a book you'd pay a lot of money for at a book store.

It's huge, and full of information, and a lot of new stuff that hasn't been in the past few books.Both books are very high quality and very big compared to some Linux distros and the books they ship. The Admin guide is great and a I flipped through the book I noticed quite a few new chapters.

When you buy it if you're not used to it, you should be reading these first.

The next thing I pulled out was a sticker. SUSE has always shipped stickers that I know of ever since 8.1 which was my first distro of SUSE. The CD case is something I want to go back to. The thing is awesome. It's like a mini binder and has little pages of CDs and DVDs inside. I may grab a few pics of that later to show it off more, but for now, on to the install:

The installation went similar to 9.1, and the box I was installing it on is the complete bitch of all computers I have. The hardware is all integrated and it's an AMD Athlon box and the NIC and Graphics Card are not friendly with Linux or BSD. Usually one can be used and the other not. And in the 2.6 Kernel, the Network can't be used at all for some reason, which pissed me off tonight so I popped open the case and put another card in I had that was extra.

The first boot up went great and it grabbed all my hardware. Which was a first.

I just got done installing all security updates and that went easier than most could imagine. The overall look is great and so far I haven't had any problems at all. Everything just works.

There is a lot of new software as well, and of course, buying it like you should anyway gets you software that is commercial. If you want paid for software, then spend the money and buy it. It's not like it's expensive. You paid for Windows on your computer without even being asked, so go ahead and pay the less than 100 dollar price tag for a superior OS.

9.1 is here on a box I'm using as my FTP server and I'm probably going to format it tonight or tommorrow so I can play with it on there too, it's very good. And I'll probably take 8.2 off my laptop and put 9.2 on there as well.

The hardware support is better from what I've seen so I want to get it on there as fast as I can. Then I can really test it. Right now I can't say a whole lot about how the system is for stability as I just installed it and started messing but SUSE has always had the best stability and only Slackware can come close.

Just go buy it.

Heh, I slapped it on my work laptop last night.
    All installed beautifully in about 2 hours.

Seems sluggish compared to SuSE9.1 on the lappy, but it's a P3 750 (ish), 256MB RAM.
    I certainly won't put 9.3 on that machine when it comes out!

On the other hand I installed it on my (amd64) home PC a couple of weeks ago and it's very smooth. Pity it takes so long to boot up compared to XP Pro, but it's still sweet. Let's just see if it'll play with my scanner.... Oh, I can't get 3D accelerated video working on my Ti4200 yet, but I'm not really fussed about that right now.

It takes longer than XP because it's starting server applications, which you can shut down pretty easy. The Drivers, that's an Nvidia card correct? Most cards are supported very well.

My system isn't starting that many servers really. Looking at the "F2" log it's mostly going through the hardware detection and configuration. Oh, and loading KDE takes a fair while.
    I know I could choose a lighter window manager, but I decded to go close to vanilla SuSE 'cos I couldn't be bothered tweaking that much.

It certainly is nVidia - I only bought that make because of the reports that Radeon cards are a pain under Linux. I'm sure it's just a little X configuration tweaking that's required, but I'd
    rather not have to - and given that I won't play 3D games under Linux I doubt I need to!

Basically once I'm home I can't be bothered continuing what I do at work... ;-)

FI, its friday and gore just got me excited. Going "Right Now" to buy it.

... and a dvd drive for my box.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.