Is Ethereal using all the CPU?

Thread: Is Ethereal using all the CPU?

Is Ethereal using all the CPU?

Hi, I'm doing some statistics in my company internet connection. I'm capturing one million packets at the same hour every day with tcpdump and then analyzing it with Ethereal. As you can imagine, process one million packets is not fast at all, but when I do something like trace a statistic graph, I can see only one of the two hyperthreading CPUs working... I don't know if there is some way to do that Ethereal use all the CPU avaible, maybe recompiling or something like that... I'm in a Windows XP enviroment...

Any idea?

Thank you.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi DerekK,

This probably won't help your present problem but because you're using Ethereal I thought this might be of interest to you...

http://www.osvdb.org/12383

I already knew the vuln, but thank you anyway!

I guess you'd have to edit the source and recompile. Change the source so it can utilize dual CPUs. I am not a very good programmer, but I think that's what ya gotta do. If I'm wrong someone correct me.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Yah right! Or I could rewrite Ethereal to make it faster and more good looking!!

No, seriously, if I was good enough to do it I will, but as you, I'm not a good programmer at all... And I can't spend the time I should need to do something like that.

I was wondering in something about compile it with some kind of compiler option that allow the use all the processor's power... But maybe it's oimpossible due to we're not talking about two "real" processors, is just an hyperthreading P4.