Thread: Looking for freeware app to recover deleted NT files

Looking for freeware app to recover deleted NT files

I have a machine that I've been asked to do some forensics on... I am trying to recover data on an old Compaq laptop that was running Windows NT. Are there any freeware apps out there that will get this job done?
    Dyn/Gnosis ~ Powerful/Knowledge
    www.Dyngnosis.com
    Tutorials - Site Penetration Logs - (TheCommunity)Forums - Toolss

http://www.freebyte.com/filediskutils/#datarecovery

just google for free recovery tools.....
    O.G at A.O

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Helix is supposed to be pretty good too...
    http://www.e-fense.com/helix/
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

zencoder -- This is exactly what I was looking for -- perfect!
    Dyn/Gnosis ~ Powerful/Knowledge
    www.Dyngnosis.com
    Tutorials - Site Penetration Logs - (TheCommunity)Forums - Toolss

I was gonna recommend Helix (used it a few times), not for forensic work though, i wasnt sure if it had reovery tools.
    O.G at A.O

AO Senior Cow-beller
    ©opy®ight, Helix is specifically tailored for forensic purposes. I've fired it up a few times and it seems pretty decent, but I haven't actually tried to do much with it yet. I have an old cobbled together "DoD field investigation" live linux disc (I am very skeptical about the actual source...) I got from a Detective I used to help out, and it was very basic, but would boot a system, mount the HDA's in read-only and it had pcmcia/usb2 and ieee1394 drives, so you could use the DoD dd and dump images of the drives to external storage devices. Worked pretty well, and I never had a need to move beyond it (yet).

dynagnosis, I am a *big* fan of the http://www.UltimateBootCD.com/ which has a bunch of hardware and system diagnosis tools, but it also has INSERT linux, which is similar to Helix. VERY handy tool to keep in your cd-wallet.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I LOVEEEEE UBCD but they newer ones can suck because they compress the images.

I know what helix is for i meant I didnt use it for forensic work before.
    O.G at A.O