Netscape readies antiphishing browser

Thread: Netscape readies antiphishing browser

Netscape readies antiphishing browser

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5558006.html

Netscape is in negotiations with various security companies to supply the Netscape 8 beta with frequently updated blacklists of Web sites that are suspected of purveying spyware, phishing schemes and other hostile code. When someone accesses such a site using Netscape 8, the browser would flash warnings to the user and disable various technologies with security implications, including ActiveX, scripting and cookies
    Do you think many people will switch just because of this? Most people are scared to try anything other than Microsoft regardless of flaws.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you think many people will switch just because of this? Most people are scared to try anything other than Microsoft regardless of flaws.
    I suspect the reason that people use IE isn't because they trust it but rather because it's there. I have seen some enterprise-level email management devices that "deal" with phishing and scams based on wording in the email and such. The question that might be an issue is sites that get compromised and used for the phish, then resolve the issue and are still on the blacklist. Ideally if the blacklist is modifiable then it would be flexible enough.

I doubt that people will switch immediately unless there is a ground-swell. It's very similar to the ground-swell that we saw over firefox/mozilla as methods of dealing iwth spyware. It takes time.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage