Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: media state disconnected

Exclamation media state disconnected

I work for 2wire home portal router tech support and I am always getting customer's with error msg "Media state disconnected" when I tell them to do ipconfig.I asked several tech's here and they dont know how to resolve that issue.We usually tell our customer that it is a NIC problem.I believe that there is a way on how to deal with that error instead of redirecting our customers to call their computer manufacturer.I get that error message most likely if they are connected using ETHERNET.But sometimes I also get that error using WIRELESS connection.Can someone help me resolve this issue?Thanks in advance!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It just means that they are not connected to the wireless AP. The resolution is simple: get them connected.

To do this means you have to troubleshoot how their AP is set up. Things to consider:

• - SSID: spelled right (it's case-sensitive)? Is it broadcasting or not?
      - DHCP: enabled or not?
      - Encryption: is encryption enabled?
      - MAC: is there MAC address restrictions on the AP?
      - NIC Card: is the card seated and working correctly? Is it a wireless card?
      - 802.11?: is it the right protocol?
      - TCP/IP: is it installed?
      - SIgnal strength: Is there anything blocking the signal?

You need to learn how to do troubleshooting and think about these things.

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

just a stupid question, what is AP?

and one more thing..how to view if DHCP is enabled?

Well, you need to check on the AP itself (usually a web interface via wired connection). Additionally the NIC card has DHCP enabled via the properties of the NIC using Right-Click on the mouse (Network Neighbourhood ---> Properties ---> Select the Network in question ---> Properties ---> General Tab ... go to TCP/IP and the select Properties and ensure that Obtain Address Automatically is enabled).

AP= Access Point
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

cool. Thanks..oh by the way.What if the IP address is 169.x.x.x and there is no default gateway and the LAN status is showing up NETWORK CABLE UNPLUGGED.I told my customer to release/renew the IP but still getting thesame IP address with no subnet and default gateway.I already checked on the NIC card if it is installed properly and disabled the firewall or antivirus.Is there something wrong with the NIC itself?

Could be something wrong with it. The 169.x.x.x address is the default address assigned to a NIC, by Microsoft OSes, that cannot get a DHCP address.

Are you sure that there is a DHCP server running?

AOs Resident Troll
    169.x.x.x is given when your nic is set to DHCP...but cant find a DHCP server to get one from??

Thats why it wont renew

If you can ping 127.0.0.1...
    your NIC is ok

Next would be the cable...try a different one...one you know works??

Can they ping the router\AP they are connected to??

Can they tracert to a common site such as www.google.com ???

If not..

What are all the errors???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Typhoid:

Firstly I will say that I really can't believe that your company is hiring tech support staff with your level of knowledge.... I would recommend that you go to your supervisor and tell them that you need more training in the basic of the operating systems you are most commonly dealing with.

NETWORK CABLE UNPLUGGED
    This isn't a cruel Microsoft joke... honest.... If it says the network cable is unplugged then, at a minimum the cable is bad and shows no connectivity, otherwise it really is unplugged or the device it is connected to is switched off.... There, that wasn't all that hard was it?

and one more thing..how to view if DHCP is enabled?
    Well.... You obviously know how to do an ipconfig /all.... but did you ever read the output.... It tells you quite clearly that DHCP is enabled or not..... Again... Not too difficult......

OK... so I have been nasty for a while..... but lets look at the problem - and I'm speculating a little here.... You mentioned it's when they are trying to connect via Ethernet.... Silly question maybe.... is 2wire a DSL service?... Because DSL usually seems to connect via PPOE, which is different and requires a username and password amongst other things....

Also, Ms. M. is right... Are they expected to connect to to a DHCP server over ethernet, (ie: they have a router?), or are they supposed to connect to you over PPOE and subsequently get an address DHCPed to them after the PPOE connection is complete....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I really can't believe that your company is hiring tech support staff with your level of knowledge
    Sometimes I wonder if THAT is the mystery to why outsourcing techsupport to other countries is so popular... knowledge and more so the ethics or drive to actually fix a problem versus just getting through a script.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.