Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Your Own PC part 1

Ahh, yes, Pricewatch! Awesome...

Hrmm for an Intel Mobo I would go with Asus.

AGP Max = 8X
    PCI Express = 16X if i'm not mistaken?

BTW, most good CPU fans bring thermal compound. (One gram of it is more then you'll need, so don't bother wasting your money on those refill or larger ones.)

Cheers
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Allen, good point, but those motherboards and components are more expensive because it is still very new technology. Using PCIe probably would have exceeded the $1000 limit. I threw this computer together for a decent gaming/work computer.

And about the cpu, motherboard, and RAM bundles, I was thinking about using that approach, but I figured readers would learn more if I went through each thing. If I used bundles, there would be no need to talk about different cpu sockets and different RAM and such. Therefore readers would learn less.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Duck,

Finding this very interesting as I know only very little about comp hardware/building comps.

Appreciate your effort!

Elite Hacker
    When you write the assembling part of the tutorial, don't forget to mention that you should not screw the motherboard straight to the case. I was an idiot and didn't realize that there was supposed to be a gap between the mobo and the case when I built my first computer. It also didn't help that I took apart one of my other ones and put it back together and it had humps on the case so it didn't need spacers. So I had no clue that you were supposed to have a gap between the mobo and the case. Remember that, it almost cost me a motherboard, and may be why that motherboard is dead now (a year later).

AFLAAACKKK!!
    HAHA, yeh, we had an incident in my A+ cert training class like that, one of the students got a little ambitious and assembled the computer without putting the screws in the case for the gap and ended up frying his mobo haha... Beleive me, after witnessing that, I'll never forget to do that. My teacher was so mad to lol... another 60 bucks out the window...

BTW, Thank you for your compliments firefoxdown.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools