Thread: Types Of Operating Systems

Types Of Operating Systems

I know it is really short, but yet informative for newbies.
    This so-called tutorial explaines in nutshell, what tpyes of OSs are there.
    This tutorial is dedicated for newbies ONLY.
    You Gurues get out please..

Types of Operating Systems

In general there are four types of operating systems based on the types of computers they control and the sort of applications they support. The broad categories are:

Real Time

These are used to control machinery, scientific instruments and industrial systems which may have very little user interface capability. It may be that the system will be a "sealed box" when delivered for use. A very important part of the operating system is managing the resources of the computer so that a particular operation executes in precisely the same amount of time every time it occurs.

Single-user, single task

As the name implies, this operating system is designed to manage the computer so that one user can effectively do one thing at a time. An example of a single user, single task operating system is MS-DOS.

Single-user, multi-tasking

This is the operating system that most people use on their desktop and laptop computers today. Windows and the AppleMac OS9 operating system are both examples of an operating system that will let a single user have several programs running at the same time.

Multi-user

A multi-user operating system allows many different users to take advantage of the computer's resources at the same time on a network. It must make sure that the requirements of the various users are balanced, and that each of the programs they are using has sufficient and separate resources so that a problem with one user doesn't affect all other users. Unix, VMS, and mainframe operating systems, such as MVS, are examples of multi-user operating systems. Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Novell Netware are other examples of multi-user operating systems.

Multi-user operating systems also maintain a list of authorised users and provide password protection to unauthorised users who may try to gain access to the system. Large operating systems also maintain activity logs. They also provide backup and recovery routines in the event of a system failure.

********** |ceWriterguy
    In a computer science 1301 class this might be applicable. Remember that this site is for those who are a goodly bit more seasoned. I refer you to here:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=247162

To show you a good, solid example of what an OS tutorial should look like. I do like the professionalism with which you wrote yours, however...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Well, thank you |3lack|ce.
    I know it is not coherent to the point of making you interested. I do admit, but i think it is a nice start for an AO newbie, don't you think so?

Thanks you again dude,

You Gurues get out please..
    Who would criticize you then

This is the operating system that most people use on their desktop and laptop computers today. Windows and the AppleMac OS9 operating system are both examples of an operating system that will let a single user have several programs running at the same time.
    Wouldn't WIndows XP be considered a multi-user OS since you can log into more than one account and have programs open and then just click Switch User and go to the other user account running other programs ? Not sure though.
    O.G at A.O

A nice cut & patse and a bit of editing from here

http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/u0114365/sec7.html