Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I got worms

Have I got worms

I recently brought a new computer & had windows 98 installed with no oops antivirus protection. I am computer illiterate & now have a virus on my computer but have no idea what it is or what to do. The virus has caused bad sectors, damage clusters, slows computer & the screen shows a wave like disturbance esspecially when left on & not being used for awhile. Also tried to put games on but caused installment problems. Run errorguard from interent brought up 81 damaged files/folders. I have tried a couple of things but nothing seems to have worked. Can anyone help!

OK, to start, go to Trendmicro and run the free online virus scanner (housecall). Post back here with what it reports.

Cheers:
    DjM

Are you sure you have a virus? Have you scanned it to be sure?

Go to TrendMicro and try a scan. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

The virus has caused bad sectors, damage clusters
    Did you run a diagnostic to find this out or did scandisk tell you? It sounds it may also be a hard drive issue. If you know the manufacturer of the drive you can run download and run a diagnostic from their site. This site has a list of links.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you just bought it, and it doesn't end up being viral, I'd be asking the person you bought it from to check out the drive.

Also check out this link

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    I don't think you have a virus,

I think you bought a lemon!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Listen to steve.milner.

recently brought a new computer & had windows 98 installed
    uhm, you know its 2005, right? that's a 7 year old operating system, and (I know, you said you're computer illiterate so I won't hold this next part against you) it is part of the MS family of least protected/most vulnerable operating systems.

Did you really buy a "new" computer, and have Win98 put on it? That's like buying a brand new McLaren and putting some home brewed ethanol in the fueltank.

I like the title of the post though. My first thought was "Wrong site, go try the Veterinary Forums". :bfeg:
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I agree with zen coder. Sounds like you just have a bad hard drive. The average lifespan for a HDD is something like 5 years.

(Have I got worms) ??? Really now. You could've thought of something better than that
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Originally posted here by zencoder
    Listen to steve.milner.

uhm, you know its 2005, right? that's a 7 year old operating system, and (I know, you said you're computer illiterate so I won't hold this next part against you) it is part of the MS family of least protected/most vulnerable operating systems.

Did you really buy a "new" computer, and have Win98 put on it? That's like buying a brand new McLaren and putting some home brewed ethanol in the fueltank.

I like the title of the post though. My first thought was "Wrong site, go try the Veterinary Forums". :bfeg:
    THAT'S MY CAR!

Watch your mouth man you can't say that about the absolute best car ever built.

McLaren F1 ...... *Drool* 0 - 100 MPH in 4 seconds.

I can't think of a reason I'd install ANY version of Windows on a new computer except the version of XP it came with. The drivers are more than likely not there, so you're pretty much looking at a terrible resolution and can't do anything.

Now, next on my punder list, Windows 98 is actually quite secure if you add Anti Virus and a good Firewall, software and hardware firewall. No Network remote network management like the NT line has, so it's makes it very hard to break into it you know what you're doing with it.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Now, next on my punder list, Windows 98 is actually quite secure if you add Anti Virus and a good Firewall, software and hardware firewall.
    Anything else you need on that list? A tiger-team analyst personally analyzing every packet into and out of the NIC? Three NSA vampire-tap's on the line, monitored 24x7 by our nations finest? Will that make it safe enough?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Destroy the DEA.

Old Fart
    If you have worms try Castor Oil.....tastes like **** but wipes those little parasites right put...
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...