Thread: Truecrypt

Truecrypt

I feel sooo stupid asking this, but bear with me. This is my first step into the world of encryption...

As suggested by a fellow AOer, I just tried to encrypt an external hard drive with the open source TrueCrypt program. Anyone familiar with this program?

Well, the computer is formatted NFTS, so when I ran TrueCrypt on the external drive, I tried to format it NFTS as well...wouldn't allow me for some reason, so I tried it again with FAT instead. That worked.

So the whole drive's encrypted...So now what? How do I move data to that drive so that it will be protected by the encryption?

And just how stupid a question is it that I'm asking here?

I am guessing you created a TrueCrupt volume using the entire hard drive since you said you formatted it. Since it wouldn't work as an NTFS volume perhaps you don't have full admin privy on the box? What I know.

You have to mount the volume before using it by clicking on the icon and selecting "mount"
    Then you should get the drive in explorer.

//EDIT what is your external drive interface?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Got full admin privaledges...

Drive is mounted, appears in explorer...

Then says drive is inaccissible and that the "parameter is incorrect" when I double-click it...ok...makes sense...it's encrypted, so I shouldn't be able to just click on in there...but how do I get in? I'm not being prompted for a key or anything, just won't let me in...

Nevermind! I figured it out...You have to log off then log on before the mounted encrypted volume is accessible.

That makes sense of force a refresh of the drives hardware.

gj.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

It's working great now. I've encrypted two Netdisk external drives now.

However, for some reason I won't even detect the presence of an Iomega REV external drive, so I can't encrypt it. Does it not work with the new REV drives I wonder?