Thread: A Unix Os

A Unix Os

I have a box sitting at home that I want to install *nix on. However, I am having some problems. Currently FreeBSD is on it running only console. That is not the problem I got it to install however, I am having some problems. First off it keeps crashing at points for no reason. So I reinstalled. Then the install would not work about 20 times. Then it reinstalled. And still getting the occasional crashes. But when I try to install some of the packages like pine or emacs it will not install them it just crashes and can't dump and then reboots. So I was wondering if there are any UNIX Os' out there that may work better on my machine. I know about NetBSD and OpenBSD but I am not sure if those are appropriate for this case. Some input on this would be gratefull.
    ~Tek~

You didn't name the hardware you have so do this:

When you get back to the machine, type portpugrade -af and hit enter as root.

If you're online this will recompile the whole OS for sources, if it crashes while it's doing this, it's probably your hardware. When a compiler crashes it's a sign. And then, Install something else on the machine. Hardware or Heat.

this command does not exist lol. and I could not find anything simmilar on freebsd's site
    and to be honest I am not quite shure what hardware is in the computer right now.
    ~Tek~

just a update. I switched the box over to NetBSD and everything is working wonderfully.
    ~Tek~