Thread: Tor &

Tor &

I installed Tor & privoxy from

http://tor.eff.org/

Is it reliable ?

The site claims that Tor is

"Tor is a toolset for a wide range of organizations and people that want to improve their safety and security on the Internet. Using Tor can help you anonymize web browsing and publishing, instant messaging, IRC, SSH, and more. Tor also provides a platform on which software developers can build new applications with built-in anonymity, safety, and privacy features"

After installing the program, my IP address became anonymous like what it claims to do. But after I scanned my PC at Sygate, the results shows that I have Trojans and not protected. Before installing this software, no Trojans detected by Sygate scanner.

Hm,a friend's used Tor without any problems..could you be more specific?the names of the trojans for instance?a HJT log?are you sure you didnt do anything else(click on any unknown programs,visit certain sites and the like) after getting Tor in?a google search doesnt seem to have shed any light either..more info if you please

Shakira,

After installing the program, my IP address became anonymous like what it claims to do. But after I scanned my PC at Sygate, the results shows that I have Trojans and not protected. Before installing this software, no Trojans detected by Sygate scanner.
    Did you disable those proxy programs and run the scan again?

The accuracy of the S.O.S. test depends on correctly retrieving your computer’s IP address. If S.O.S. does not correctly retrieve your IP address the scan results will not be correct. This is because your IP address can be masked or hidden if you are connecting through a firewall or a proxy server.
    http://scan.sygatetech.com/
    I would disable those programs and run the scan again. Let us know.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

If you are scanning "your ip" with tor enabled with the privoxy program, then your IP is going to change per request. It is possible that you are scanning someone elses IP address and not your own.

If you use tor and a proxy program, go to www.whatismyip.com and hit refresh a couple of times. Your ip should change for every refresh. At least, thats what I get. So, in order to get an accurate security scan, disable the proxy. You will confuse the scanner by using a different ip address for every request.

You can configure one browser to use the proxy and another to do a direct connection.

Run a scan with both browsers and you should see the differences. The one that is not going through the proxy will be more accurate.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I've used tor quite a bit, from firefox webbrowsing to even making my trillian communicator run through the proxy.

As far as I've seen, it's incredibly reliable and secure. DNS information may leak out once in a while if you only give an IP rather than the server name, but that's not something most people are going to be able to sniff out. Since you are tunneling through multiple other proxies on the onion network, tracing you back involves more than just one trail.

The reason sygate detects you have a trojan is because it is scanning the tor server you are running, NOT you. That "trojan" is most likely the tor server they are running. Christ... I hate that sysgate scanner so much.