A Simple Guide to Securing USB Memory Sticks

Thread: A Simple Guide to Securing USB Memory Sticks

AO French Antique News Whore

A Simple Guide to Securing USB Memory Sticks

Understanding the Risks Associated with USB Memory Sticks

Since their introduction the USB memory stick has been hailed by those fed up with the shortcomings of the floppy. Their small physical size, satisfactory speed and ever-increasing storage capacity makes them the most convenient device to use for transferring files from one place to another. However, these very features can introduce new security risks and amplify risks that already existed with floppy disks. The primary risks associated with USB memory sticks can be identified as:

Virus Transmissions - Data sharing opens up an avenue for viruses to propagate
    Corruption of data - Corruption can occur if the drive is not unmounted cleanly
    Loss of data - All media is susceptible to data loss
    Loss of media - The device is physically small and can easily be misplaced
    Loss of confidentiality – Data on the lost physical media can be obtained by others
    More of this Guide : http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=764
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Newer USB Memory Sticks were becoming sophisticated

I am trying one n-e-o 128MB AlphaDrive (USB2.0) from Leaddata and it has a special software bundle called FLocker which is a Folder Locker Security software. It could help you keep your data secure atleast.

Almost all of the risk in a floppy disk will definitely be around in the USB drive. But at least technology has its way to improve things a little bit. So the best way to avoid some of the problems falls again to user’s way of handling such device.

It is also important to note that every time you insert your device into your PC, scan it first!

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

A friend of mine hat his usb-mass-storage set up so that users can mount ( users as option in fstab)..

I came with a nice SUID bash executable on my USB drive..

That tought him not to do stupid stuff like that anymore.. (the friendly way)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Re: Newer USB Memory Sticks were becoming sophisticated

Originally posted here by scratchONtheBOX

I am trying one n-e-o 128MB AlphaDrive (USB2.0) from Leaddata and it has a special software bundle called FLocker which is a Folder Locker Security software. It could help you keep your data secure atleast.
    I have a 512mb Sony Microvault. It has a security utility on there where you can specify the size of the secured disk. The utility will resize the disk for you creating two "partition". A secured and unsecured. So, I have setup 256mb secured and 256mb unsecured.

So, when you put the usb drive in it, it will mount under one drive letter. To access the secured portion of the memory stick, you have to run the utility and "unlock it". After you unlock it, the secured portion is mounted under a different drive.

The part that sucks is... you need local admin rights to use the secure part! Sony requires you to install some driver and reboot. After reboot, it opens FD.exe (which is required to use the utility). If you kill fd.exe, you have to start it again, or you can't access the secured data. How many computers out there just let anyone have local admin priv? I can use it at work and at home... but I can only use the unsecured space on the drive at school because I'm running under a limited account.

Poor design, IMO. I shouldn't need local admin to get access to the secured data on my usb drive. Oh yeah... I can only use the security feature with m$. Under *nix, I can only mount the unsecured portion.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I Agree

Sorry for late reply

I agree with this situation.

In addition, it is damn slow on the encryption process (makes me quit most of the time).

They (manufacturers) should find a way to improve this, otherwise, use a high-capacity STORAGE MEDIA (like the HD for LAPTOPS - converted to a USB external device like the 40GB of Toshiba that's out on the market, newer and better capacity and superb peroformance seems to keep on coming-up).

FYI

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif