Thread: SMS and uninstalling programs

SMS and uninstalling programs

Do I need a 3rd party app or can I use SMS to do an uninstall over the network of software I don't want on peoples machines.

Depends on the software. Each program has its own method of uninstall, so if it can be run from a command-line (and you know what the command line is) SMS should be able to do it.

ok....then where in SMS is the area where you are referencing? I know SMS for its reporting cabability. It was only mentioned to me in a passing that this tool can be used to uninstall programs.

I have also looked through and played with SMS and did a search on how to go the uninstall via Microsoft site. They say that it can be done but I am not shown how. I feel stupid. I did find out how to do it with one computer but not a bunch using SMS. How can I choose all systems that say have a specific product and just push out an uninstall?

I wouldn't feel stupid about this one, mate. I don't know either . .haha
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

You've used SMS for distribution of software, correct?

What you'd do to uninstall is set up a job that looks just like a software install, but actually uninstalls the software. For example, if I was installing the software I would probably reference a setup.exe. The unisntall is trickier and it depends on the software. If the software package was built with an .MSI, I can call the windows installer with the correct command-line switches to uninstall. If the software was not built with an .MSI, they may have an uninstaller command line.

I would install the software on a system, and find any uninstall program that may be installed with the program.

I know this isn't the most helpful, but each program is different.