Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And you thought hard drive prices were high!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

And you thought hard drive prices were high!

*PFFFTTTT*

Check out this historical look at prices:

Small sample taken from link above

1956 IBM 5 megabytes USD$50,000 USD$10,000/MB

1981 Apple 5 megabytes USD$3500 USD$700/MB

1988 Unknown Manufacturer 20 megabytes USD$799 USD$40/MB

1988 Unknown Manufacturer 250 megabytes USD$3995 USD$16/MB

1995 Seagate 2.1 gigabytes USD$1699 USD81¢/MB (this is the year I paid for my own computer with my own money -- Quadra 650)

1998 Quantum 6.4 gigabytes USD$479.99 USD8.63¢/MB

2004 Western Digital Caviar SE (7200rpm) 250 GB USD$249.99 USD$1./GB
    Maybe that new drive ain't that expensive after all, eh?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Heh.. and what's scary is that some of those old drives might fetch near the same price today for collectors (historical value)... Might even be able to get your money back at some point..

I know an original Mac sold for 5 or 6 figures at some point.

BTW, those links don't work.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I know I just checked them so I edited the post. They must have moved them, I'm looking now but I gave a link to the page they were on.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Holy crap! At a buck a gig, I can afford .17 Gigs right now! woo!

I wonder price what my original suitcase compaq PC would fetch? Time to call Antiques Roadshow...

[edit]Figured I'd edit this in so I don't appear *too* much the post whore -

I can picture an "Antique Computers Collector's Club" in my head, and the little voices of my imagination sound off saying things like "And here we see Joe, driving a VERY flashy TRS 80 with 1 megabyte of onboard ram and a cassette player drive!" and "Doesn't Sarah look sweet with her Apple complete with restored original wooden case valued at $250,000!" and "Here comes Jim with his high-style generic PC with custom 8.5inch floppy drives!"

Hell, I bet even Leno the collector would want a piece of this - and I bet he'll start auctioning them off after they're signed by all his celebrity guests, but only to benefit worthy charities...

And STILL the old PS2 will sit as a doorstop.[/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Ha! I've got huge BOXES of old hard drives and old hardware... maybe its time to start putting some of it up for auction.

Anyone want to bid on a first generation touch screen monitor? Complete with the ISA controller card...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Regal Making Handler
    Anyone want to bid on a first generation touch screen monitor? Complete with the ISA controller card...
    Noooooo..........But it would be interesting to run something like Encase on you box of Hdds. Lol
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AOs Resident Troll
    Remember when 4MB of memory...took 2 floors of an office building (late 70s)
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by jinxy
    Noooooo..........But it would be interesting to run something like Encase on you box of Hdds. Lol
    Right... which is exactly why they are in big boxes in the basement... behind locked doors in locked cabinets. lol... its about time to get the shotgun and have some fun!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Remember when 4MB of memory...took 2 floors of an office building (late 70s)
    No I wasn't born yet. But I do know that was a time when you could cause a core dump with a can of coke and a hammer. And what about spinning full sized length HDs? A few places here still had these sadly and I guess one guy learned to watch his head near the disk spinning because it planted him in the wall 10 feet away.