Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nLite - Windows Installation Customizer

AO French Antique News Whore

nLite - Windows Installation Customizer

Have you ever wanted to remove some Windows components like Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...

How about not to install them with Windows ?

Well I have. Certainly not the only one, people all over are doing it even manually.

nLite is a GUI for permanent Windows component removal by your choice. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. So that means that with nLite you will be able to have Windows installation cd which on installation doesn't install, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

Maybe you won't believe it at first but it's not easy to not install what you don't want when it comes to Windows. It involves many setup files to be edited carefully without interfering with basic Windows components.

After some thinking I decided to make generic removal tool with a GUI, for an easy removal in order to run Windows faster and more reliable (I sound like Windows setup). So that means nLite should work on every Windows version.Now it supports Windows 2000, XP amd 2003, Longhorn will be added when it's released.

You need Framework in order to run it... Check if you have it already in Add/Remove programs, or on your CDs before downloading it.

There, i hope you like it and have in mind it's still in beta phase so report any bugs found, don't freak out.
    Note : You can also include ServicePack into your customize CD.

Link : http://nuhi.msfn.org/index.html
    Download : http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hey Hey,

The option to slipstream is definately nice. I was able to add SP2 RC2 in about 30 seconds. It kinda makes me curious though. Would slipstreaming SP2 into the CD allow you to beat the valid CD Key requirement when you installed it? It extracts the files based on my CD Key I'm guessing, which is valid, so does that mean now that the files are extracted you'll be able to install with any CD Key... or just a valid SP2 key still?

I must say I'm quite impressed with the number of components you can remove. Drivers, Fonts, Themes, Services.... you could strip XP right down if you wanted to. I'll definately be putting this to use for work. Creating an SP2 CD for install on students PCs w/ things like Messenger service already removed so that they aren't calling us about pop-ups. And being able to remove Infrared and Bluetooth drivers is handy, you can cut your installation by a few MB... you can even remove printer drivers, and since most people install from their CD... you may as well.

Thanks for the info SDK... best Windows XP related software I've seen since BartPE

Peace,
    HT

I bumped this.. I think it's a great find/util..

Would slipstreaming SP2 into the CD allow you to beat the valid CD Key requirement when you installed it
    in a word.. No.. but you can use any sp1/2 compatable key (you answered yourself)..

Nice toy.. hmm another one for the kit..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

The option to slipstream is definately nice. I was able to add SP2 RC2 in about 30 seconds. It kinda makes me curious though. Would slipstreaming SP2 into the CD allow you to beat the valid CD Key requirement when you installed it? It extracts the files based on my CD Key I'm guessing, which is valid, so does that mean now that the files are extracted you'll be able to install with any CD Key... or just a valid SP2 key still?

HT
    If you want to use any key..just modify the setupp.ini file to your liking.

Oh wait, I'm not supposed to know anything about computers.
    /me bows and slinks off
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Blast From the Past
    you would think so HTRegz...be able to mess with the winlogon.exe *i think thats it if i remember right* and install it so it never askes to register....may requior alittle tweaking tho
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

SDK,

I spend a lot of time reading AO post and never reply...(for various reasons), however....thanks for the heads up on N-LITE.

The Iceman Cometh
    I just wish they'd modify it to slipstream hotfixes too. It's a bitch to manually slipstream all those hotfixes. It's fine with MS Office since they release updates so infrequently, but with a couple Windows fixes per month for XP (and usually for 2000 as well), it's time consuming to slipstream them in. I e-mailed the author recommending that, but I doubt he'll do it. It's probably too much work to code it in to be able to slipstream any hotfix in. I wrote a script for it, but it's still too tedious.

AJ

Antionline Herpetologist
    avdven, any chance of us getting that script. I've been meaning to do that for a loooong time, but it's too much of a pain .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

The Iceman Cometh
    I'll try to remember to post the script on Monday when I get to my office. I put it in my task scheduler, so it should be up my mid to late morning on Monday. In the meantime, I modelled my script after FlexBeta's (found here: http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comment...atid=1&id=3269). Granted, mine's not graphical like their's (it's as bare-bones as scripts come), but it's simple to use gets the job done. I didn't really like the interface of FlexBeta's. I felt it was too bloated. That's why I wish nLite was more modular, because I really like its layout and overal simplicity. Anyway, I'll try to have it up for you Monday.

AJ