WebSense
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WebSense

WebSense

Is there anyway around this blasted website blocker. It has seemed to block most proxy sites already like proxify.org or ebypass.org etc. I want to be able to read email while at school.

I want to be able to read email while at school.
    You're supposed to get an education at school and not read e-mails. WHy not just use a service that allows telneting ?sdf.lonestar.org or cyberspace.org does

Found this real quick:

http://proxy2005.tk is a site that can bypass websense and display most pages. It cannot let you check mail. For that type of bypass you should read up on the tutorails at http://trilogy-group.tk . Enjoy
    http://www.ashleyit.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=37&t=37

SLeepy Time
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

You think they are going to allow me to telnet before they let me read email at comcast.net? You're off your rocker.

philman213

As an administrator that uses Websense, if it's set up correctly - you're out of luck. If you do find an anonymous proxy site that works, it will still show up in the logs. At that point your admin will block that site and pay you a visit. Look at your AUP and see if it's worth a visit from your admin.

Websense is a PAIN IN THE ASS.
    The damn thing always gets me into trouble... well, I get into the trouble, it catches me....

The only way I can get around it is to do one of a couple things.

Setup a terminal services/ vnc on remote box on a nonstandard port (eg. one that can get out the firewall) (tunneled for increased security)

Connect to remote shell (ssh) and use text based browsers. (again, might have to use nonstandard ports depending on firewall configuration) not all sites are text based browser friendly... trust me on this. You'll get a headache trying to read half the stuff out there... but there are NO FLASH OR BANNER ADS! lol

Other than that... google cache!

Websense is good. If you can't beat the system... step around it.

The "solutions" I mentioned may violate your AUP... if you screw up and the revoke your network access don't come crying to us.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phishphreek80

I'm surprised that you can still set up a telnet session. I am using Websense with a PIX integration. Being a stateful packet inspector, I'm surprised that telnet sessions are allowed.

The only trouble I get into is when the VP's start bitching that they can't download patches for their palms or the latest search bar LOL

Nah, I wouldn't use telnet. I use ssh or tunnel vnc over ssh.
    I'll use terminal services (RDP) when I can't use ssh.

But, then again, I'm the admin....
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Yea, it's good to be king - On the local settings for the network agent, I added my static ip address(s) to the monitor list exception.

I am invisible to Websense and all it's logging/monitoring

Well Im a student so I doubt they could catch me. VNC was mentioned and I have it setup but they block the default ports such as 5800. Anyway I could VNC or is there a port WebSense wouldnt block?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well Im a student so I doubt they could catch me.
    That's a rather bold statement. What makes you think this?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage