Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why is Windows more popular then Linux

Sometimes its easier to use the --help command.
    That will give you switches with a breif description of the switch.

ls --help | more

that might be 3 screens

Where

man ls

that might be 6 screens

Man is just goint to explain the command better.

You can also grep what you're looking for

ls --help | grep sort

That will list the switches that have "sort" in the descriptions.

Let's agree, that neither of us is an "average" user, that's why we are willing to learn new things about computers. It is and is always going to be our job to provide "average users with the tools they need and want to have.

Unfortunately, so far Linux is falling well short of being a usefull tool for the "average" user. And no matter how many arguments you will try to produce to prove that it is a good OS, which it is, it still won't become any more useful.
    I agree. The OS is NOT for your "average user".
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I agree. The OS is NOT for your "average user".
    I think you're answering the original question here!

Originally posted here by gore
    **** man no one cares that Linux might be odd to some jack ass who drools on the keyboard.

Well this thread is dying slowly, and I want to point something out:

I had great fun making it seem like I'm an ******* when really I was just bored. What it all boils down to is what do YOU want to use? Nothing else matters, at all.

Originally posted here by idmismatch
    I've been answering the original question all along. I've agree with some of his points and disagreed with others. I think you get what you put into it. You put a lot of work in, you'll get a lot out. Sit there and stare at the front of the "400 page manual" and you'll only learn the front of the manual.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Gore.

I just instared SUSE 9.1. It's definately userfriendlier then Fedora. Still lacks wireless suport though .
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Did you buy Professional? And after that, open YAST2, and do online update, it has a **** load / high number of wireless stuff to download. Have to remember these Linux companies generally can't put drivers for everything on the CD because of it being against the law.

Say, what is it about slackware? I don't get it. Why are so many people saying that it's 'the' distro to learn? I've just installed it and just about finished configuring.....graphics,network,sound,users.... It's definitely more difficult than mandrake 10.1 which I had previously. But once you've finished configuring, it's just like mandrake.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777