Microsoft Acquires Sybari
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Acquires Sybari

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Microsoft Acquires Sybari

Microsoft seems to be taking a page from the Symantec playbook. They are continuing their move to aggressively acquire companies that allow them to expand into the security arena. Last year they bought GeCad, the Romanian AV company that made RAV Antivirus. Recently they purchased Giant Software and tweaked their product to create their Microsoft Anti-Spyware which is being beta-tested currently. They also recently announced that they will be releasing a standalone virus removal and cleanup tool once a month. Sybari makes enterprise AV and expands Microsoft's capabilities. It sort of remains to be seen where they are going with all of this. Will they release security applications for free? Will they roll AV and/or antispyware technology into their OS or applications? Will they jump into the security arena and compete head to head with Symantec, McAfee and Trend?

Here are some details about the Sybari purchase: Microsoft to Acquire Enterprise Anti-Virus Security Provider Sybari Software

AO Senior Cow-beller
    For Free?!? Uhm...maybe a limited version rolled in, with a full blown enterprise version available for a fee. See: Outlook Express and Outlook.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wow. That's interesting. I did an interview with Sybari a week or so ago and they made no mention of this coming up.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL. Are you surprised by this Mitts?

Anyway, if MS is following the Symantec playbook I fear what the future holds. Since Symantec has become a one stop shop for everything under the sun, their products have hit an all new low in the quality dept.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Since Symantec has become a one stop shop for everything under the sun, their products have hit an all new low in the quality dept.
    Isn't that the truth.... Every time I have seen the "expansion" of Symantec I have seen a bigger "hog", more complicated registration/licensing/updating and, most importantly, slower response to threat.... Now they got into firewall and IDS.... Forget it.... Users now tell me "I have Norton's Security Suite" and my reply is ", if it works for you that's fine, well done...."
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Are you surprised by this Mitts?
    Actually, yes. The article is to focus around their product for Notes. They seemed more open to multiple platforms or service. Additionally, their Antigen product is supposed to come with 4 default AV engines. Does this mean that MS will be buying out those companies as well? Does the contract become null/void if MS buys them out? A colleague of mine sent me the following:

Sybari Software is very excited to announce Microsoft's intent to purchase Sybari. This news crossed the news wires at 9:00 AM EST today, Tuesday, February 8, 2005 and shows that our companies share a strong commitment to secure messaging and collaboration. This relationship gives us a solid foundation on which to expand our current goals for increased antivirus and antispam protection within the enterprise.

As a valued Sybari customer, we look forward to continuing to provide you with superior customer service and support as we move forward. If you have any questions in the coming weeks, feel free to contact your Sybari representative. You can also review the following whitepaper for further information: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=42094
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Custom User
    I know this is slightly off topic, but I'd just like to agree with what was said above about symantech. I recently got a computer for my mum and dad (due to an admin error at my work, a decent comp was going at a rediculous price) and it came preloaded with the Norton Antivirus 30 day trial, or whatever pish. My mum, not realising that my dad and I could get free copies of MacAfee Antivirus from the uni, attempted to purchase another year's worth of antivirus subscription from Norton (or symantech...bleh) and all did not go well. I don't doubt that what happened was probably her fault initially, but for some reason, the product still didn't seem to be registered. To cut a long story short and to use a cliche at the same time, there was much email correspondance between symantech and my father, and no-matter how many times he followed whatever instructions they gave him, the product still didn't work.

So my mum ended up buying a subscription to something that we can't even use. I've not done a lot to try to fix it, but I have tried the obvious; obviously not the right thing to do in this case.

to symantech.

ac

Regal Making Handler
    Sybari makes enterprise AV and expands Microsoft's capabilities. It sort of remains to be seen where they are going with all of this. Will they release security applications for free? Will they roll AV and/or antispyware technology into their OS or applications? Will they jump into the security arena and compete head to head with Symantec, McAfee and Trend?
    I don't think they will be rolling AV/antispyware into there OS, not after being given a bloody nose in the European court over Media Player.

I don't see them giving software away either, didn't Gates say that open souce was a form of communism. I think it more likely we will see a Microsoft Computer Security package some time in the near future.

Or maybe they just want into the field to research AV/antispyware as a way of developing a more resistant OS.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Additionally, their Antigen product is supposed to come with 4 default AV engines. Does this mean that MS will be buying out those companies as well? Does the contract become null/void if MS buys them out? A colleague of mine sent me the following:
    Hmm, that's a good question MsM. That's got me wondering (and a little concerned) since we are a Sybari Antigen shop on our Exchange: great product! We run Norman, Sybari, and the Sophos engines...Sophos is probably too big for M$'s tastes but who knows. Our licensing person will be contacting Sybari soon to see what we can find out about licensing and support costs...will probably go up now huh?

Sybari is excited about this purchase because they are losing $$$: I think I read somewhere that their revenue was $34 mil annually and lost $2 mil last quarter...eek.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    This is a growring trend. VeriSign has gotten into the MSS industry with several acquisitions, including Guardent, and by leveraging strategic business partnerships, like with Frontbridge, to provide a robust Managed Security Service offering.

Dear god, I sound like a sales puke! But seriously...they are one of the (if not the) leading CA for all sorts of purposes, they have a robust security consulting division, and they are aggresively looking to build their retinue of clients. I know from personal experience...

Security is big business, and its gotten MS's attention even.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore