XP Home to PRO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Home to PRO

AOs Resident Troll

XP Home to PRO

HI there,

I have a site (small) that has a new app coming that will only run on XP Pro.

They recently had the computers replaced (due to a flood) and Dell sent them nice shiny XP Home machines....what wasnt an issue with the old app. (specially what they replaced)

The new app requires XP Pro.

Not being proficient with XP issues yet (although I find myself around it pretty good)
    Can I just upgrade from XP home to XP pro??

I was at the local computer store and the "kid" told me that the XP Upgrade software only works with 98???

and I stress "KID"

Now I am all worried

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    You can upgrade to XP Pro from Win98 (and 98SE), Millemmiun, NT 4, 2k Pro, or XP Home. So yes, you can easily upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro (you don't even have to have XP Home installed - just make sure you have the Home CD handy as it will ask for it). The kid was wrong

AOs Resident Troll
    thanks,

Cause I went and told my customer I could do it...just get me the upgrade software

The kid got to me...

Sometimes I feel REALLY old

MLF

Im offended that you keep referring to him as the kid, and that you keep stressing that he is a kid. I am only 19 years old and to many am still considered a "kid" but know more about computers then most adults, and have known more for years. Adults can be equaly as clueless and misinformative as kids can. You should just refer to him as "clueless sales drone" or something similar.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Wonder why is requires XP pro? Chances are you can find out and maybe avoid the cost? Or try it on a home edition box.

He may have meant that you cannot upgrade from Windows 95.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AOs Resident Troll
    Sorry there XTC46

I didnt mean to offend....

I have met many young people that know more about computers than most people...

Although ...they will NEVER have my years of experience!!!!!

RoadClosed

Not sure if the app really requires Pro...
    But you know vendors...you lose support if they find out you dont follow the specs to the tee.

I believe there was a thread talking about the new breed of support...
    People reading scripts...

"What OS are you running??"

"OH...xxapp only runs on xxOS, blah blah blah blah blah"

The site needs the support from the vendor as they are migrating to a new database\retail app.

MLF

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    MLF:

This:-

Sometimes I feel REALLY old
    may be inexorably linked to this:-

Although ...they will NEVER have my years of experience!!!!!

XTC:

The reason many of us er... seasoned citizens... yeah, that's it.... refer to the "support staff" in many stores as kids is a twofold issue. Firstly, yes, they are young, But, secondly, and more importantly, the stores aren't hiring quality "kids". Most of them are hired off the street because they will work for little above minimum wage and are sent on a "product training course" where they are taught the specs and some answers to some FAQ's and then are unleashed on the unsuspecting public.

I can't tell you how many times I have been into stores looking for something specific with an ability to do something that would solve a problem and had these "kids" give me misinformation that I _know_ to be incorrect. So much so that they have told me that equipment I own can do what it is I am asking for..... and I know damned well it doesn't have the damned feature(s) I need....

This is why we call them "kids".... It is an exclusive group and our references to them does not in any way imply your membership of said group....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

yea, I guess...

I just get irritated sometimes becasue I walk into computer stores and becasue I am young either get no help (dont usually need it) or they try and convince me to buy garbage becasue they think I wont know better. The ones who do the latter are generally older guys who know a little tech jargon so they spit that then when I question them they get this dumb founded look on their face and walk away...

I just wanted to make the point that not ALL kids are complete jackasses...just most
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    "You've got questions, we've got blank stares."

Damn, that always cracks me up

I would have a job at a computerish store if I was 18, then I could actually answer your questions correctly. I hate how most computer type stores don't hire anyone under 18. ( I'm only 16 for anyone wondering). At the moment I'm trying to find a job at a computer repair shop or something of that sort... Gas is too damned expensive...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.