Win ME CD-ROM Boot Option
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win ME CD-ROM Boot Option

Win ME CD-ROM Boot Option

Yes, I am working on a computer for a relative and all "ALL" Im trying to do is boot the OS CD so I can format and install a fresh copy of Windows ME. The only situation that I am allowed to open is the Setup (CMOS), pressing the Delete key. THere is no F5, F8, etc. for Millineum Edition. That I know of. Sometimes I can get to a DOS Text Option screen that allows me to boot into SAFE mode.
    All I wanna do is install a fresh copy of Win ME onto a HDD that has ME already on it, but am unable to find the Boot Config screen that allows me to boot OS-CD, Setup does not allow this.

The problem is im in a catch 22. See there is someting wrong with Normal mode and Safe mode does not load device drivers (CD_ROM) . Therefore, my actual problem is that im unable to get into Windows ME normal mode because my relative unplugged the AC power cord out of the Power Supply when it was on.......

Whereas in XP you can press Delete (CMOS) and F8 to bring you boot config options.

The BIOS is Dell propietary, if someone needs the actual BIOS software model number I can look it up.

Its this ME, im used to XP.........

THanks in Advance
    A+ Certified

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Do you HAVE to have ME ?
    Wouldn't 98SE be a better proposition ?

ME is a stand alone OS, designed primarily for games. 98 can run on the ME specs, and can be hardened for the net if you search around here for some tuts.

[off topic] been a while, and you've still got the same old avatar. old hat now, surely ? time for a change please.

[edit]removed part about the hot connect HDD
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

DO NOT PLUG IN AN IDE WHILE THE COMPUTER IS ON.

make a bootdisk... google "Windows ME Bootdisk" . chances are you arent using a bootable cd =/
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    Aren't A+ certified folks supposed to know how to fix this problem?

If you're using a "real" WinME CD, you'll see the option to install the OS, or to boot to a command line (and possibly some other option) once you boot from the CD. I always just boot to a command line, fdisk the hard disk from command prompt, then run the setup... saves you a lot of WinME complaints. In other words: getting a command prompt from the WinME CD is more than enough to start installing the OS.

You mention the box is a Dell, so it might come with a recovery disk in stead of a full version. In this case, it's even simpler: boot from CD, and follow the instructions.

If all else fails: get a boot disk as XTC46 mentioned.

As long as it doesn't have to be Dell proprietary, bootdisk.com will have the critter!

Click Here

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Dell sucks about it, but not as bad as Compaq, but that's not why I'm posting...below is:

[offtopic] dude, lose the Hitler. Please.[/offtopic]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hah!

THere is no F5, F8, etc. for Millineum Edition. That I know of.
    There is, but you have to be quick (it is F8 and you have to keep hitting it)..................otherwise use the Bill Gates method.............like HOLD DOWN THE UPPER SHIFT KEY DURING BOOT-UP

That is a little WinME add-on .................gives you 100% guaranteed safe mode boot on a functional system............otherwise you have other problems as well.

Get a Win98/98SE boot disk to boot from the floppy.............it is easier............you did not follow the ME installation instructions did you..................that is when you should create the recovery disks. The Win 98 disks will do the job just as well.

You probably need to go into set-up and make sure that you have floppy/CD/HDD as your boot options......................IN THAT ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try that, and let us know

With some DELL's F1 gets into BIOS Setup .. but I have had models with F10 (like some old compaq's), and I had a Dell lappie the other day that needed F2 to get into BIOS, and not to forget the models that use F9, F8, Shift ALT, Shift-ALt- Esc... Ctl-Alt-Esc etc etc..

But what is wrong with the Dell Recovery CD's?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I may be missing something, but can't you just set your boot options to boot to the CD before the HDD as nihil said. Then you boot from the ME disk to format and reinstall.
    Mad Beaver

Just wanted to say thanks guys for the reply's.... I know WinME does suk.

XTC46- That maybe, Ill check it out.......Im pretty sure there is an OS on this Dell Reinstallation CD though... its brand new.

foxyloxley- No I dont have to have ME, I could use Win 98SE or XP for that matter, but what would that accomplish if the Dell Reinstallation CD isnt being seen at startup?

Originally posted here by Negative
    Aren't A+ certified folks supposed to know how to fix this problem?

If you're using a "real" WinME CD, you'll see the option to install the OS, or to boot to a command line (and possibly some other option) once you boot from the CD.
    Its as real as what it came with.
    If I got a prompt to boot into CLI mode I would be home free. This CD is being overlooked, so I need to go back to Setup(CMOS). That doesnt happen with WinME. You might get lucky every once in awhile and get a prompt to boot into safe mode , which isnt going to do anything for me. THe disk definetly has an OS on it im sure of it.

The A+ exam only covered Win 2000 and 9x..

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hah!

There is, but you have to be quick (it is F8 and you have to keep hitting it..................otherwise use the Bill Gates method.............like HOLD DOWN THE UPPER SHIFT KEY DURING BOOT-UP

That is a little WinME add-on .................gives you 100% guaranteed safe mode boot on a functional system............otherwise you have other problems as well.

Get a Win98/98SE boot disk to boot from the floppy.............it is easier............you did not follow the ME installation instructions did you..................that is when you should create the recovery disks. The Win 98 disks will do the job just as well.

You probably need to go into set-up and make sure that you have floppy/CD/HDD as your boot options......................IN THAT ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try that, and let us know

nihil- UPPER SHIFT KEYS ? hold shift down while pressing F8? trust me I was pressing F8.
    You have to be quick with the keys, tell me about it. My relative thought I was weird he asked me why every time you reboot the box you smash the top row of keys....lol

Sigh, well where do I begin. THis isnt an excuse but I didnt think that I had to use CMOS to setup the order in which to access the boot config screen. This is what my setup looked like....

BOOT

1st Boot Device [Floppy]
    2nd " " [ARMD- FDD]
    3rd " " [IDE-HDD]
    4th " " [ATAPI- CDROM]

I changed it to................

BOOT

1st Boot Device [ATAPI-CDROM]
    "
    "
    So everything is A-OK .. Had to make a backout disk?
    I overlooked this screen like 5 times.... I feel ashamed....So since I posted this I feel obligated to change my avatar with my head down....... you all want me to change it but havent given me any suggestions? What is synonmo s with Propaganda?
    A+ Certified