Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diasbled Regedit

Diasbled Regedit

Hi
    I disabled the regedit program by making changes in the registry.Now the problem is that i ,myself cant able 2 run the regedit program. Is there any way i can gain access to the registry or i have to reinstall the windows?

What did you change in the registry? It is possible to make modifications to the registry (to reverse the change that you made) without using regedit. Did you make a backup of the registry before you made the changes? Did you have System Restore activated (if availalble)?

First of all what operating system are you using?
    secondly do you have some idea of the key you modified?
    Thirdly what is the message you get when you try to run regedit or regedt32?
    Try using a third party tool to try to reactive the registry editing. Something like tweakUI might help.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Hi,

1. Why did you disable REGEDIT...........what were you trying to achieve? I ask this, because I would like to know what else you might have done

2. We really do need to know what OS you are using................OK, I can figure out that it is Windows.............and must be Win 95 or later..............but which one?

OR.............should your question be:

"My school's Systems Administrators have wisely disabled regedit to stop little toe-rags such as myself trying to be noveau Ankit Fadias...................but I am so lame, I cannot hack it"

YES, a re-install will work, so will a variety of other things, but we do need to know:

A. What you have got, and what you have done to it.
    B. Are you genuine.

OH! I almost forgot, any manual/article that discusses changes to the registry tells you to back it up first...............so why didn't you?

possibly because it is not your system?

Hi

First my operating system is windows 98

Second My system has both windows 98 and windows XP and all the programs is installed in Windows XP. I use windows 98 for just learning the operating system. and offcourse the system is mine :-)

Third i went to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    System

then made a Dword disableregistrytools and set the value to 1

After that it become disabled now i want use the find option which i disabled earlier through regedit

Thats the problem :-)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Second My system has both windows 98 and windows XP and all the programs is installed in Windows XP. I use windows 98 for just learning the operating system. and offcourse the system is mine :-)
    So which OS has the disabled regedit?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Windows 98

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    This thread might be of help. Haven't tried the reg patch personally.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi

I suggest to use local policies to undo the change[1].

Start poledit[2],
    go to Local User Properties.System Restrictions.Disable Registry Editing Tools.

This should change the registry (if I recall correctly). Unclick in order to Enable
    the Registry Editing Tools.

Cheers

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...t2/wrkc08.mspx

[2] CD: \Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit

/edit: MsMittens reg-file should do exactly the same patch
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000  

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Hi,

You can use Registry Mechanic 4.0 to repair your registries.

Next time:
    1- Be sure to have a copy of your registires for {Disaster Recovery}
    2- Be sure to have these registries on a removable Diskette or a USB device.
    3- Unless you know what you are doing, don't try to modify any registry. It might cause serious problems.

Cheers,