Thread: Possible attack? Funny DNS requests

Possible attack? Funny DNS requests

Hi there i am wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a Linux server hosting about 70 domains. Lately i have been noticing in my logs /var/log/messages following requests

Feb 10 02:43:42 gipsy named[572]: lame server resolving '83.52.225.82.ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org' (in 'ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org'?): 127.0.0.1#53
    Feb 10 02:43:55 gipsy named[572]: lame server resolving '53.16.22.216.ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org' (in 'ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org'?): 127.0.0.1#53

Sometimes its up to three a second. Searched on google for similar behavior and found nothing. Has anyone seen this before? Could it be that my server is blacklisted? Or could it be some kind of hack?

Try here...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...G=Search&meta=
    Google Search: .ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org' (in 'ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org'?): 127.0.0.1#53

AO Senior Cow-beller

Less obscure

"Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Fair enough but how do i stop it? I did visit thei website before and it still does not explain why is this happening? Any ides?

Hellp,

check the bind administration manual on lame servers. The can be disabled.

Or you can use the following as an example:

logging {
    category "lame-servers" { "null"; };
    channel null {
    null;
    severity warning;
    };
    };

The part that you want is the category line.