Thread: Possible attack? Funny DNS requests

Possible attack? Funny DNS requests

Hi there i am wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a Linux server hosting about 70 domains. Lately i have been noticing in my logs /var/log/messages following requests

Feb 10 02:43:42 gipsy named[572]: lame server resolving '83.52.225.82.ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org' (in 'ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org'?): 127.0.0.1#53
    Feb 10 02:43:55 gipsy named[572]: lame server resolving '53.16.22.216.ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org' (in 'ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org'?): 127.0.0.1#53

Sometimes its up to three a second. Searched on google for similar behavior and found nothing. Has anyone seen this before? Could it be that my server is blacklisted? Or could it be some kind of hack?

Hello bAgZ,

As I can see it I think there is a problem in your DNS config as at the end of the lines you copied in you post you can see the 127.0.0.1 home address.

Now I could be mistaking but I think you need to check your config.

Also if you google just a portion of the log like lame server resolving you can find lots of articles about your specific problem , just click the link and click on the first article there ..you'll find some interesting stuff allready.
    If you DIG a bit deeper I'm sure you'll find lots more.

Gr33tz,

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

A lame server is a DNS server that claims to be or should be authorative for a zone but isnt. Theres plenty of these out there.

-Maestr0

if you dont want them logged, just change /etc/named.conf.

logging {
    category lame-servers {null; };
    };
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Thanks for thehelp. Just to clarify i do run a DNS server and never had any problems this only started from 9 feb. Anyway i will look into the config one more time.