Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft forces IM upgrades

AO French Antique News Whore

Microsoft forces IM upgrades

Microsoft on Friday forced its millions of MSN Messenger users to download a new version of the software to plug a vulnerability discovered earlier this week. The mandatory upgrade began early Friday morning after a security company posted a how-to guide describing how the vulnerability can attack computers. MSN Messenger users were then greeted with a notice to upgrade before they could open their instant messaging clients.

The moves come after Microsoft on Tuesday released a series of software patches to plug a series of "critical" weaknesses in a handful of products including Office XP, Internet Explorer 6, Windows Media Player and MSN Messenger. Microsoft was planning on asking Messenger users to upgrade over a longer period of time, but once the security posting went public the company decided to upgrade all users at once, a company representative said.
    Source : http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9588_22-5573252.html

That a good move from Microsoft part! They react quick to the thread I post here
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Really? I didn't get forced to upgrade..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I got no "forced" upgrade
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    Only versions lower than 5 are required to upgrade, according to MS... I was running 4.7 or something and didn't get forced to upgrade either.

Hey Hey,

http://messenger.msn.com/feature/msgr3.aspx
    If you use MSN Messenger 6.1 or 6.2 on a PC*, please upgrade now.

Download Now!

This upgrade includes the most robust security measures currently available for MSN Messenger. You will only be able to log onto MSN Messenger if you have upgraded your MSN Messenger software.

*If you are using MSN Messenger 7.0 Beta or are on a MAC operating system, you do not need to download this upgrade.
    Everyone I know that was running MSN 6.1 and 6.2 was forced to upgrade.... Is it possible you are running 7.0 Beta already??? MsM and XTC??? As for Neg... 4.7 sounds to me like Windows Messenger... not MSN Messenger... which would explain why there was no upgrade forced there.

Peace,
    HT

Well... I had MSN Messenger v6.1 and after I rebooted my machine it forced me to update to v6.2 to be able to connect at all again.

Version 6.2 (6.2.0205)

The latest Messenger is keep on reminding me too since yesterday!

Version 6.2 (6.2.0205)

As soon as you are connected and your MS Messenger is configured auto-login (auto-run I guessed), it will prompt you for the latest update and ask you to install it ASAP.

Now I run it this morning and it's quite normal.

Never used it too much though.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    As for Neg... 4.7 sounds to me like Windows Messenger... not MSN Messenger.
    So what is the difference that saves WinMessenger users, but not MSN Messenger users? All Windows messenger does is come preinstalled with XP, and it does a much crappier job of presenting a GUI to the MSN messenger code than does MSNs version.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Yepp, but they are two completely different products.
    Never understood why they made two different ones instead of getting rid of one, concentrating on one instead.

I guess Windows Messenger might be a preferred version if you use it for Exchange in your company though. Might not want all those fancy features and I guess one of those features had the security problem.. ?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm running MSN 6.2 (6.2.0137) and this morning I got asked if I wanted to upgrade to a newer version. So now I'm 6.2 (6.2.0205). And nothing being requested beyond that.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage