Thread: ACL's for SMC or D-link routers

ACL's for SMC or D-link routers

How do you create an ACL for a basic 4-port SMC or D-link router? Most web interfaces that I've used with these have a more or less wizard that doesn't help. Can you "Hyper-terminal" into these basic routers? Any docuementation or tutorials out there?

AOs Resident Troll
    You can enable remote admin in the dlink for remote access....pick a really good password and change it often!!

AFAIK I believe you just open the port and these products *route* them to the various servers\service you need....depending on the protocol. thats why they are called *routers*.

Then these servers and\or services hold the ACLs.

I believe there are other more advanced products out there....$$$$

I guess it all depends what you are trying to do...and what kind of service you want to offer then..... what kind of product you need.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Actually, the web based software is doable. All you have to do in place of the Access Control List is setup the MAC filtering that D-Link does support. But as to answer the HyperTerm question, wher I think you mean telnet, the answer is no. You'd have to shell out a little bit more than 69.95 to get one of those. Best of luck. MAC filters are easy to setup. Look here. http://support.dlink.com/emulators/d.../help_adv.html or you can just Google it with your D-Link model.
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

The quality of the filters for Dlink heavily depend on the router/gateway you have chosen. I had an older dlink (607 or something) and it supported it, but it was kind of klunky (prerendered table where you had enter stuff). I now have a Dlink 614 (wireless) and it has a wizard for generating rules, but also has a filters section where you can edit the rules directly. All of the Dlink stuff is pretty well documented on their support site.

You do NOT have to enable remote administration to access the management web page, IFF you are on the local LAN. At least not for the Dlinks.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    MLF: Neb is right.... You don't need to enable remote management on any of the consumer grade routers/WAPs in order to use the web interface as long as you are on the LAN side of the router. Remote management only applies in those situation where you need to manage it from the WAN side.... Then your advice is spot on.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    Thanks tiger

Not really my area of expertize...but I am learning

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well I know there are alternate firmwares (sveasoft, openwrt...) availible for wireless routers (linksys wrt54g and others) which have ssh access and much more, so my guess is that there are probably some for none wifi routers also...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss