Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local security w2k question

Local security w2k question

Hi all,

I just got a hard drive image from a customer, and I need to replicate a problem they're having regarding screen savers in non-administrator logins. However, the problem is that the security policy is set so tight for non-admins that I can't enable the screen saver (or even right click on the desktop) in any non-admin account. How can I change this policy? I can't see anything regarding this under Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policies... I know it's probably called something else, but I don't know what.

Any helps, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ik

[edit] a google search turned up nothing [/edit]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You will need to run the local security policy MMC (gpedit.msc) and change the policy. This must be done as the admin. Do this in the start > run field.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thumbs up

...and once there (gpedit.msc), you go to:

User Configuration-Administrative Templates-Control Panel-Display

Thank you both. Out of curiosity, how did you guys find out that you have to run gpedit.msc? I searched through the windows help files, but it turned up nothing (probably used wrong keywords). Is there some place I can look up these things?

I did find another way to get the same panel, just running MMC, adding the necessary panels, etc... How did you figure out to run that file? Are there other shortcuts for other things? Where are they referenced?

Thanks once again,
    -ik
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

I don't even remember when I learned about it... maybe when you study for MCSE? Or maybe when you just browse through all your files in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ and try everything out.. heh?!
    Actually, I think I used the equivalent program gpedit.exe (not sure if that is what it was called?) under NT4 to edit local policies...

Do a search on *.msc and you can see all of the other mmc addons.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    It's "one of those things"...kind of like running 'gpupdate' when your domain account has been changed in AD, and you want to force the changes down to the local system. Or using "MSTSC /v:servername /console" to connect to a Terminal Server/Remote Desktop when all the remote sessions are in use...it's not well documented, but these things do show up in nooks and crannies around the 'net, and good tech's usually learn of them through various means and share them when the need arises, such as here. Go google 'gpedit admin help tips'...I bet you find a few sites that have lists of hints and tips. Googling for something you don't really know the name of can be somewhat difficult, even for the best of us.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

On NT 4 it was called POLEDIT and it worked differently than the current gpedit snap-in. As the others mentioned, I learned about it eons ago and it was covered in the MCSE exam (at least when I took it).

Ahh well, back to business...
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thumbs up

The Horse: Yepp, that's the one I was thinking of, POLEDIT, it was kinda the same, setting local policy settings. Was good at the time, to restrict access on "public" computers.. !

Zencoder: Wow! Didn't know about mstsc /console!
    That is very cool... hm... except for I can't get it to work.. ? (just connecting like a regular remote session) Guess I have to read up on how that is supposed to work... unless you can tell me real quick?!
    (I'm trying from WinXP Pro to Win2000 and to Win2003 without success... ?)

I never knew about mstsc is thats jsut remote desktop?

mstsc /? will tell you everything you want to know.

For a quick and dirty:

mstsc /v 10.10.10.10:3389 /console

Where 10.10.10.10 is your TS.