Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions with severe slowdown

Suggestions with severe slowdown

Yo,

So I've been running on a windows XP pro installation for about a year, and all of the sudden it just started slowing down tremendously. The funny thing is, according to WinBar, my CPU flutters between 0% and 5% and my available memory is more than 600MB when I'm browsing the net. Yet if I try to open something, it takes years, but the CPU and Memory usage is no more than normal.

At first I thought it might be hardware, then I booted into linux and it was fine.

I don't have a problem re-installing Windows, because I'm a pro at it (I usually do it twice a year on my machine ).

Just wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions as to why it is slowing down so much. I'm running Panda Antivirus and Norton Utilities. I have an AMD Athlon 3000 and 1 GB DDR mem.

Need more details? Ask away. I'm trying to write this before I run off to work so I might leave out something important.

Thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrm... spyware/worm? What have you done already to check for either spyware and/or virus/worms? Have you done scans in Safe-mode or with a bootup disk (some worms can hide themselves from AV)? Hijackthis to detect unusual registry enteries? How much space for page file? What programs are running in background (perhaps too many or one with a memory leak?) What is running in background when you attempt to go to the web?

Right now, my gut says spyware (there are some poorly coded ones out there that can interfer with net access) but shouldn't rule anything out.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Slowdown

Well, it is well-known that Windows is a resource-hungry server software.

This slowdown might be caused by the junk programs that system has left over. Vednors even recommend rebooting Windwos to get rid of thes left overs.

Everytime you face a slowdown try rebooting, and see if there is a difference.

Poosible solutions:

[list=1][*]Improved Technology[*]Increased Memory {RAMs}[*]Additional CPUs[*]User Restrictions[/list=1]
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Ok, I booted in to safe mode and ran Spybot and HijackThis. Spybot found only 4 things, nothing serious.

Now, when I start up, Windows says that because of significant hardware changes, I need to re-activate. WTF?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What did you do with Hijackthis? Did you just scan or did you scan and remove? If you removed, what did you remove?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The entries that Hijackthis came up with did not seem unusual. I examined the path to each and could identify what program they were assossiated with (Sun Java, Zend Studio, ...)

If you like I can post the log.

scan for virii. if you didnt make the changes in the registrty then something else did.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Black:

# Increased Memory {RAMs}
    # Additional CPUs
    Ahem, it's already a three Gig chip with a Gig of RAM..... How much more do you think he needs to surf the web?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

If you scan it for malware and it's clean try a CHKDSK and a defragment. Maybe a hard drive diagnostic.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Did a defrag (Norton Speed Disk) last night, wasn't too fragged to begin with so I didn't see any change.

I will try a chkdsk tonight, see if it helps.

My biggest "WTF" is comming from Windows, asking me to re-activate. I hate calling them...

And no, I don't think I need to upgrade my hardware (unless it's a HD issue). I do play a lot of games and run a lot of server stuff (Apache, MySQL), but the server stuff I turn off during normal operation.