Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got MS Office Pro 2003 :)

Thumbs up Just got MS Office Pro 2003 :)

Just got myself MSOffice Pro 2003.

As I am a student, I got it for free from MS, thanks to our Uni's agreement with them.

I think the top prise for it is a couple of hundred pounds. My opinion, it's the greatest office aplication out. The amount of useful features in there is just huge

My opinion, this is the product worth paying for. When I get out of uni and get a proper job, I will gladly pay the price.

And for all the Open Source people, there is nothing I tryed which stood near this one at the moment, so I'm realy looking forward to the reply, hope it'll be as good as the previous ones.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Banned
    I prefer MS Office over OpenOffice any day, too

I'm at uni, but I didn't get mine for free

We first bought the Student and Teacher Edition 2003, but that one doesn't come with Access, so we had to buy the Professional Academic Version...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Might want to watch for OpenOffice 2.0. I've been using Open Office for quite a while now and certainly there are a few bugs/issues that need to be resolved, they certainly have come a long way. A recent review I read seems to indicate a beefed up Open Office 2.0 will be a serious contender to MS Office.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Senior Cow-beller

Well here goes...

Office 2003 is by far the best offering Microsoft has made yet in this area. No duh, it's the latest version. Personally, I think Outlook is a great PIM solution, if it weren't for such a crappy email engine. The exception to this statement is Outlook with Exchange, with both workstation and server properly configured, protected, etc. yada yada ad naseum.

I installed Open Office for the first time a few days ago, and was very impressed. Then I (scanned, filtered, scanned, analyzed, prayed, and ) downloaded a .DOC attachment and opened it in the word processor.

But all the documents I've created from scratch are beautiful. I'm a big fan of Excel for lists, data sorting, etc. Haven't tried the spreadsheet thingy from Open Office yet.

But I will not pay $500 for the office suite. I simply don't get that much use out of the damned thing. Office really is a professional suite of applications, geared towards office productivity.

My mother-in-law was insistent recently that I get Office installed on her new computer because "she couldn't do anything with it" except for surf and play Zuma. She wouldn't even open Works 7 which came with the PC from Compaq.

Office is pretty, shiny, effective, and Microsoft spends a lot of effort making it more functional, but I can write a resume in Vi just as easily, I simply don't have as many font options.

Additionally, I will usually recommend a client consider it, at least for user productivity. But there's a reason you only see a few copies on the shelf at the software store.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

********** |ceWriterguy
    I think the top prise for it is a couple of hundred pounds.
    paid $69.95 US at Best Buy a month ago. It's an impressive package.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Haven't tried the spreadsheet thingy from Open Office yet.
    I have. I use it for my grade sheets and it works very similar to Office. And I haven't had any issues opening Excel sheets in Open Office or vice-versa. I can't say the same for the Open Office presentation portion (Impress). This is why I'm hoping that 2.0 is as good as they say. Apparently there were big beef-ups in that area. The pictures and apparently the features are similar to Office.

I do wonder if this will result in a potential lawsuit (the Writer portion looks very similar to Word).

Oh.. and if anyone's wondering it's Linux Pro Magazine, February 2005 issue if they want to see highlights, screenshots and read the review.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    According to Best Buy's web site:

Office Pro is $499, and the upgrade is $329.
    Standard is $399, and the upgrade is $239.
    Student and Teacher is $149, but doesn't come with Access and can't be upgraded...

How'd you get one for $69.95, and what version is that?

My Windows office suite...

PFE baby!!

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

I love openoffice and even loved Staroffice (pre sun) for the basics but since so many clients standardize on MS, I have a hard time getting openoffice to jive with all but the most basic formatting structures. Tables in particular.

Crossing fingers the future versions can get closer as I'm sure clients would love the savings.

********** |ceWriterguy
    M$ Office Pro 2003 student/teacher edition - discounted for Mrs |ce's student status. $69.95
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

It was also only a compatibility issue with other office suites, which made a problem for me. My uni uses MS Office, so it isn't a matter of choice realy.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying