Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grabbing IP (Seeking Experience)

Grabbing IP (Seeking Experience)

Hi

I'm thinking of this question for a very long time already since i'm still a student, my exposure to corporate inter-network is still very little.

#1 Since the WAN Network carries all public ip addresses, how do IANA know who to assign the IP addresses to? I could just use one of the Live servers to obtain another company's IP address isn't it?

e.g.,
    --- my company (202.132.128.100)
    --- another company (218.211.29.38)

I can just steal his IP isn't it? and he'll just reiceve the conflicting ip error?

Please advise.

Alot of ISPs bind static IPs to the MAC address of the modem. SO if you put that IP on your computer it wont work.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It's as simple as this.....

You live at 123 High Street in Toledo for example.... While I live at 987 Main Street in Los Angeles.... When a letter addressed to me is mailed the Post Office, (think: routers), route the mail to my house. If you win a million dollars and pretend that you live at my address who do you think will get your million when they mail it to you? The Post Office won't change the routing simply because you lied.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

A little reading that may help you.
    Pay particular attention to terms like "broadcast domains" and their limitations.
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ethernet.htm
    http://www.yale.edu/pclt/COMM/TCPIP.HTM
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router.htm

Google for "IP Spoofing" to learn of ways to try to trick IP devices.
    It can sometimes turn into quite an involved process.

Originally posted here by XTC46
    Alot of ISPs bind static IPs to the MAC address of the modem. SO if you put that IP on your computer it wont work.
    Are you meaning dialup or DSL/CABLE?

For most dialup these days, IP allocation including statics are handled by the authentication
    software (RADIUS) and the port controller.
    The limiting factor is usually regional. But its getting better because many large ISP's use
    common modem pools from providers like Level 3.
    Here in Colorado Earthlink, AOL, MSN, and QWEST all share dialup equipment where
    even the dialup numbers are from like provisions.

If you meant DSL or Cable ( you said modem so I was not sure) your statement make sense.

Im talking about dsl/cable
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

the use of the term of Modem is technicly correct regardless of wether your talking Dialup, adsl, sdsl, cable or ethernet.. they are ALL MOdulators-DEModulators

they are just interfaces for different mediums...
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    the use of the term of Modem is technicly correct regardless of wether your talking Dialup, adsl, sdsl, cable or ethernet.. they are ALL MOdulators-DEModulators

they are just interfaces for different mediums...

ummm okay..

What is your point?
    Noone used the term wrong but it was important to draw the distinction based on the question
    being asked as the answers could differ...

ss2chef - his point is that you stated you didnt know what type of modem he was talking about

If you meant DSL or Cable ( you said modem so I was not sure) your statement make sense.
    And from the basis of what we were talking about anyway it was made apparent that we are talking about some form of ethernet and not dialup. Based on this

Since the WAN Network carries all public ip addresses
    And if you have used dialup (which I am sure you have) and you have investigated and looked at your IP from the experience I have seen almost all of the time they just use DHCP and the it expires rather quickly. So you get a new IP everytime.

So to explain my rant his point was it didnt matter what term he used for modem... In general we are talking about broadband and not dialup.

But anyway, I am not attacking anyone just pointing out what an outsider sees/thinks. Back to the original question it is very dependent on the ISP as ss2chef had stated... How you are connected is semi relevant but I have seen it happen where you can spoof your mac address and then pull his IP causing a "Duplicate IP on the network" error and will kick him off the interent for a while.. Then when he resets his cable modem it will kick you. A buddy and I who went to college together use to play this game on Comcast's network for a while just to mess with eachother. All in all there is really no point to it and if he complains you may be violating some form of the User Agreement from your provider
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Originally posted here by Spyrus
    ss2chef - his point is that you stated you didnt know what type of modem he was talking about
    And from the basis of what we were talking about anyway it was made apparent that we are talking about some form of ethernet and not dialup. Based on this

I follow what you are saying, and thank you for answering

But, a dial modem connected to the Internet IS connected to a WAN and can be
    part of an "ethernet" network in cases like being used as an Internet sharing device...
    A 3Com Office Connect comes to mind. Still in wide use in rural areas where broadband is not
    available yet...

Thanks for the attempt at clarification tho...