Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grabbing IP (Seeking Experience)

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    the use of the term of Modem is technicly correct regardless of wether your talking Dialup, adsl, sdsl, cable or ethernet.. they are ALL MOdulators-DEModulators

they are just interfaces for different mediums...
    Incorrect. Modulate means to make adubile, such as the fact that you can hear the audio of a modem when you pick up a telephone on the same line as the modem. Demodulate is to hear this sound and translate it back into data. Cable and Ethernet for sure don't do this, they operate solely on voltages. I'm not positive about DSL but I believe they're of the same manor.

Oh. Okay. I haven't read into WAN Technologies yet, does all the WAN equipments have a MAC Address too? (Sounds stupid yes?) Does the provider do handle/preventions on IP HiJackings?

Thanks all

Regal Making Handler
    Oh. Okay. I haven't read into WAN Technologies yet, does all the WAN equipments have a MAC Address too
    AFAIK all networking hardware has a MAC address

Incorrect. Modulate means to make adubile, such as the fact that you can hear the audio of a modem when you pick up a telephone on the same line as the modem. Demodulate is to hear this sound and translate it back into data. Cable and Ethernet for sure don't do this, they operate solely on voltages
    Whilst this is correct, we are talking about IP addresses within the Internet as far as I understand. So whilst it maybe, that a wlan can appy to an ethernet network, I think the OP was refering to Internet addressing. As such undertaker was talking about equipment that make a connection to the Internet, IE modulators/demodulaters. Whether it is dialup or through a router which has either an inbuilt or seperate modem.

And yes all telecommunications, with the exeption of fiberoptic, is modulated/demodulated.

AFAIK adsl is just away to carry digital data and voice over the same wire.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry