Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win XP Home Ed. for download??

Question Win XP Home Ed. for download??

Anybody that could help me out with a link where I could download a XP Home Edition SP1 CD (ISO file or something similar), without any product key of course.

Trying to help a friend. Her motherboard failed on her. She has an AMD Athlon 2400. She had an ASUS motherboard, but the only thing I could find for her locally was an AOPEN motherboard. Sooo.. since she had Win XP I was hoping it would do well... reinstalling a bunch of drivers on the first couple of boot-ups and stuff.. but nopes! Doesn't boot at all now.

She lost her Win XP CD, but she still has the sticker on the computer with the Product Key. Thought, well.. Microsoft will probably give me a link to an ISO file I can download or at least mail me a replacement CD if I provide the legit Product Key... I call them up.. 10 minutes before closing hours.. ! Some asian lady who has a very heavy accent answers and she is having the hardest time understanding... I finally get her to understand I need a replacement for the lost CD and I have a Product Key to verify with. She tells me to give her the Product Key.. and then click ! She either hang up on me, or the whole office just shuts down at closing hour!??
    Maaan that made me mad, so of course when I tried to call back, I got the message to call back another day... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

We do have the MSDN Technet CD's at the college where I work, but I don't ever remember seeing any Win XP Home Editions among those CD's? Anyone who knows? Else I guess I can drive in to work and get it.

But if someone has a link to a Trial version or Product Key-less version, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

I dont know if you will get a replacement cd for free, but I am almost certain Microsoft doesnt supply a downloadable iso of their operating system. Although they do offer the beta version of xp 64 for the new arhlon processor but that doesnt help much. What you can do, if you know anyone enrolled in college, they usually get them for 12 dollars or something at their campus bookstore.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Yes I do! Wow, only $12!?! That's way cheaper than having to go to BestBuy and buy a new one... heh!
    Well, I'm getting tired trying to fix this puter.. might as well go to bed and buy it tomorrow instead then.. thanks a lot EaseZE!

This thread almost got my vote as the Best Social Engineering Attempt for 2005
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Undertaker: Oh, why is that??
    A trial version or key-less version shouldn't be illegal to download, specially when Microsoft offers free replacement CD's if you can prove you have a legit Product Key.
    Only problem with MS is their stupid support people! Last night they hang up on me in the middle of ordering the CD, because she wanted to go home I guess at closing hour, and this morning when I called another asian girl says: -Sorry, the Recovery Dept. is closed during weekends, please call back on Monday.. !!

I admit it might sound like a good try to get a hold of free software, but in this case, specially since MS is implementing all these new updates to make sure you have a legit key, I don't see a problem with it at all.
    If you have a CD, it won't do you any good without a valid CD key.

Finally got help!
    Computer Renissance burn you a copy for $15 if you come in show proof of authenticity! So that was nice.
    The CD repair worked fine, Windows is now booting up.

Didn't end yet though, SP2 won't install at all, just stops right away with error message: Failed! Try again.

At least MS has free support for SP2 issues, but now I've been on hold for over 1 hour... what a fun weekend..

Oh, why is that??
    A trial version or key-less version shouldn't be illegal to download
    Unless it is from MS.. then it BLOODY WELL IS ILLEGEL.. And the free copies form MS are for PPL who have a problem with the original.. NOTE. This does not apply to OEM disks that is the responsability of the OEM manufacturer.. and the DEMO disks you mention install with a time limit.. and you don't want that ..do you?
    as for the MS support problem.. never had the problem you mention.. I DO AVOID RINGING NEAR CLOSING TIME. not because I expect what happened to you but because I hate *****s who ring at closing time with tech support questions, the staff do have a life.. BUT when I have rung near their closing time, the staff have been helpful all the way to resolution, and on one occasion this was half an hour after their closure times....
    If you have a CD, it won't do you any good without a valid CD key.
    bring a home copy disk into any certified system builder and you will have 4 to 5 pieces to take home. and a MS letter about legit copies.. if the person has a legit COA.. they will be charged for a Certified replacement (unfortunatly ms don't make the replacement disk free to us)
    BTW: What we think should be happening, or what we think should be our rights, aint what the real world gives.. tuff titties you do understand why copyright laws exist.. and dont be a lame arse and say but Microsoft this or that.. you want a bigger ogre than MS.. try IBM ..how the DOJ never shut them down with their restrictive business practices.. and yet they will point the finger

Now as for your SP2 issue:
    HAVE you checked for malware.. sp2 installs will fail when certain Virus and worms are present
    what tools are you useing to check this out? have you checked this possable? have you checked that it isn't a memory compatability problem? (is there more than 1 stick of RAM?)
    is the AV running?

and as for my comment about best SE for 2005.. your message DID look for all the world like a SE attempt.. read a few of the "How to HAck Hotmail" threads and see what I mean..
    I did not say that it had my vote i said "almost got my Vote"
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Angry

MAAAAAAN!!! Do I hate MS Support or what!???!?!?!
    Been on hold for over 2 hours... and still hanging on... ! Now gone over the closing hour, but STILL on hold!!

For fun thought I would call the number from my cell, and sure enough, can't get through anymore, cause it's closed!!

So what about my first call... they are just gonna let me sit on hold there until tomorrow?!?!?!?

Freaking ridiculous!!!! RRRRRRRRRmmmmfssskKKKK!!!!

/me is getting in a baaad mood!

so you havent read my post huh..
    just cut to the 2nd last paragraph.. re the SP2 problem..

Undertaker: Well, LOL, you replied while I was typing my message! :P

Yes, I have run both Adaware and Spybot... all clean and fine, using Norton Antivirus 2003, tried to disable it, still no luck...
    Also tried to install with the developers SP2 file... didn't work either..

Thanks for your suggestions though!

...I guess I will just hang up... never got a message about MS closing though.. ! Still going on with background music and messages interrupting every now and then on how to get support online and stuff if you don't wanna wait...
    Guess I will just have to call back tomorrow... agaaaain...