Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win XP Home Ed. for download??

ok.. do a hjt log and post.. (as an attachment pse) there may be something there..
    the fact youve done (I assume) a repair install there could be something in the System.INI or Win.INI causingg the problem
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Oki, here is the HJT log and I will just attach the win.ini and system.ini as well then...
    I can't find anything that pokes ya in the eye, but hopefully you might find a clue?

Thanks!

Undertaker: BTW, about getting a copy of Win XP...
    Obviously MS doesn't care at all. All they care about is that you really have paid for it once and have a legit Product Key.

Else how do you explain Computer Renissance having ISO files, burning CD's for customers???
    Or are they doing illegal business!?!?

I bet there is even a way to be able to download the ISO files directly from MS?!

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    I hate *****s who ring at closing time with tech support questions, the staff do have a life..
    Alright, since I can't mess anymore with this stupid computer for the moment, I can go back and answer secondary issues...

I don't care if it's 10 minutes before closing or 30 minutes before closing! If you are supposed to be available you should be available to the last minute! I didn't plan on calling 10 minutes before, I just happened to need help right then. Then if I happen to have an issue that goes over the closing time, well say so nicely and don't hang up on me while I'm talking...!
    Not just computers having problems though, phone systems do too, so might not have been her being rude...

My second call though. Calling an hour before closing. A receptionist answers pretty much right away, and says she will forward me to the Service Pack Support Department. I ended up waiting on the phone for 3 hours before I gave up, but nothing indicating they were closed and unavailable.. !

I think I have all right to be very dissatisfied with their customer support!
    They sure got some real bad issues they need to fix.

I don't call MS very often, and 2 calls out of 2... 100% worthless... wish I got one of those MS surveys that I don't care to fill out normally..

Maybe it's just me... and this wonderful weekend of mine... heh!?!
    Hopefully my third call tomorrow will be a good one, and the last one for a while!

I think I have all right to be very dissatisfied with their customer support!
    I never call customer support, because I already know that, if
    I can't solve the problem myself, the problem cannot be solved.

I guess I'm a lot like those people who would pipe up now with the
    suggestion that you should install LINUX. Better yet, you should
    wait until they finally answer your call and then tell them.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you, but I wound up solving the problem
    myself. I formatted my hard drive and installed LINUX. Thanks,
    and have a nice day" And hang up.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Regal Making Handler
    SawPer,
    bitching about service centres is about as usefull as asking, "how long is a piece of string". For every negative post I have seen there is the same amount of positive posts.

I do feel for you, my Dell laptop started to fall apart and no amount of my frustration would get through to the Indian call centre opps..................In the end i gave up trying and just fixed it myself with super glue. So far it's holding up.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Arrow

...story continues...!
    I thought, well.. I better call them right at the opening hour, Sunday morning, can't be too many calling them at that time.. !
    Well... got through quickly, forwarded to a tech girl and she ran through some "quick" fixes that supposedly should fix these kinda problems...
    After an hour she gave up.. heh! So now she documented everything we have gone through, and forwarded it to higest level support to take a look at it, and they are supposed to call me back sometime tomorrow.. !

We tried adding a registry key... some w3svc key that has to be there she said, and it was completely missing...
    Added full permissions to everything in the registry...
    Ran a batch file: http://www.michna.com/kb/fixdb.bat that is supposed to fix a bunch of stuff...tried to install SP2 from Safe Mode... but still having the very same problem!
    Says: Failed!
    Even before it starts installing, right when it finishes the download of the pre-download of the SP2 itself.

rcgreen: welllll... I don't call support too quickly, I usually figure most things out myself, but I do realize I don't know everything.. heh! And hopefully I'm not the first one with this problem, so hopefully someone figured out what the problem is and they will call me tomorrow with a stupid "bug-solution" and then everything will be fine again... !
    I mean, something is obviously wrong, so as soon as what ever gets fixed, it'll be fine. Of course it can be solved, it's just a matter of finding the problem.
    Linux is fun and cool... and good.. ! But Windows is what my friend wants to run and she would never want me to put Linux on her box.. hehe!

Originally posted here by jinxy
    SawPer,
    bitching about service centres is about as usefull as asking, "how long is a piece of string". For every negative post I have seen there is the same amount of positive posts.

I do feel for you, my Dell laptop started to fall apart and no amount of my frustration would get through to the Indian call centre opps..................In the end i gave up trying and just fixed it myself with super glue. So far it's holding up.
    Hehe!! ...India Call Centre! I do feel for you too! hehe! A friend at work who is a Database guru, working with People Soft, has an endless amount of stories from the People Soft Support, from India.. hehe! Maaan, it always helps when you talk the same language first of all.. heh!

Well.. I hope I will even this whole story out in the end with some positive stuff from MS.. heh!
    The rude people and the bad way of handling customers on hold could get resolved. I'm just hoping some good MS person will read this message and do something about it! Don't we have some good MS people visiting this awesome site?!?!!?

Well.. I just have to tell you that the negative trend is holding on.. ! Still no call back from Microsoft! Hmmm... I guess I will call them tonight when I get back home from work...

I guess nobody had any suggestions from the HJT log?

Undertaker: You still in here... ?